Author Topic: Phalanx : The Navy’s Antiaircraft Ballistic Buzzsaw Super Gun  (Read 144 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Phalanx : The Navy’s Antiaircraft Ballistic Buzzsaw Super Gun
Story by Christian Orr • Yesterday 3:49 PM

The word “phalanx” has a time-honored and bad*** significance in warfare, both ancient and modern warfare alike.

In ancient Greece – specifically from the 7th century BCE to the 4th century BCE – the phalanx was an infantry formation used by hoplite soldiers, typically arranged in a rectangular shape which, to make a long story short, presented a solid wall of shields to the enemy, which made it difficult for attackers to penetrate, and in turn enabled the hoplites to mount a highly effective offensive of their own.

Fast-forward to the present day, and the word “phalanx” now refers to a highly sophisticated gun system for defending the warships of America and her allies from enemy warplanes and missiles. Say hello to the Phalanx Close-In Weapon System (CIWS).

Phalanx CIWS Early History and Specifications
The Phalanx CIWS was designed by General Dynamics and is currently manufactured by Raytheon Missiles & Defense. The design roots trace back to 1969, with actual production starting in 1978; in 1980, the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea (CV-43) became the first warship to have the weapons system installed. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/phalanx-the-navy-s-antiaircraft-ballistic-buzzsaw-super-gun/ar-AA1cvdjU?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=84095863cf6745299e893ccc290ed2a1&ei=7
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson