Author Topic: Inflation declines to 4% in May, lowest since March 2021  (Read 656 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Inflation declines to 4% in May, lowest since March 2021
« on: June 13, 2023, 01:11:34 pm »
Inflation declines to 4% in May, lowest since March 2021
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter |
June 13, 2023 08:32 AM

Annual inflation slowed to a 4% rate in May, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Tuesday, down from 4.9% the month before.

Tuesday’s report marks 11 straight months of declines in annual inflation after the rate peaked at a whopping 9.1% in June of last year. The sharp drop in headline inflation is a positive development as the Federal Reserve convenes Tuesday to whether to continue aggressively raising interest rate hikes as it has over the past year in a desperate bid to limit price hikes.

The large decline in the annual inflation rate was driven by the massive jump in May 2022 falling out of the equation. Prices rose nearly 1% just in that month, thanks in large part to soaring energy costs and supply-chain disruptions caused by Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Energy costs have since fallen significantly.

“Nothing like 11 consecutive months of declining CPI. It shows the Fed’s policy approach has been taking hold and working,” Brian Marks, executive director of the University of New Haven’s Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program, told the Washington Examiner.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/inflation-declines-to-4-in-may-as-fed-considers-next-move
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Inflation declines to 4% in May, lowest since March 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 01:47:29 pm »
 US inflation rose 4% in May, lowest in 2 years
By Shannon Thaler   
June 13, 2023 8:51am

US data from May showed that inflation is decelerating — but stubborn price gains showed that the Federal Reserve remains under pressure to hike interest rates this year.

The Consumer Price Index — a closely-monitored measure of inflation that tracks changes in the costs of everyday goods and services — rose 4% in May versus a year earlier, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

That was a step down from April’s 4.9% increase and marks the smallest monthly increase in more than two years. Last June, inflation had peaked at 9.1%.

The latest number gives breathing room for the Federal Reserve — which has hiked rates in 10 consecutive moves since early 2022 — to opt for a long-anticipated pause when it meets this week.

Still, core CPI, which excludes volatile food and energy prices, rose a concerning 0.4% from a month ago, and 5.3% from one year ago. Month over month, prices increased by 0.1%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ report released on Tuesday.

Rising housing costs were the largest contributor to last month’s increase, followed by used cars and trucks, which increased 4.4%.

Stock futures rose ahead of the opening of Tuesday’s trading session.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/13/us-inflation-rose-4-in-may-lowest-in-2-years/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 02:18:43 pm »
... not at the gas pump and the grocery store.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline yodaspock

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 02:19:59 pm »
Just a Reminder The Obama administration released incorrect Data on jobs and inflation to win the 2008 election. They later corrected the data down ward after the fact, no one in the press covered the data lies.

Is this the same type of lie? 

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 04:22:16 pm »
So what’s the strategy if things are papered over enough to look like things might be getting better by next year? Ousting  an incumbent president is very difficult.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 04:24:03 pm »
So what’s the strategy if things are papered over enough to look like things might be getting better by next year? Ousting  an incumbent president is very difficult.

Get ready for Weimar-style hyperinflation after a Biden win in 2024.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 04:27:38 pm »

Gasoline, food and rent prices don't lie.  It's not that difficult to see what a negative impact Brandon has had on this country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 04:28:58 pm »
Figures don't lie but liars sure can figure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 04:39:12 pm »
Inflation must have gone down. Our $7/dozen eggs have gone back to their normal $5/dozen.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 04:43:08 pm »
Inflation must have gone down. Our $7/dozen eggs have gone back to their normal $5/dozen.

That wouldn't be the result of a decrease in the rate of inflation, that would be actual deflation.  Most likely that is the result of improvements in supply, not changes in the rate of inflation.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 05:03:50 pm »
That wouldn't be the result of a decrease in the rate of inflation, that would be actual deflation.  Most likely that is the result of improvements in supply, not changes in the rate of inflation.
@Kamaji

That was attempted sarcasm.   

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 05:05:09 pm »
@Kamaji

That was attempted sarcasm.   

@bigheadfred

Ahh.  My bad!

I'm internet-disabled; without /sarc or /jk tags, I get literalist!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 07:09:38 pm »
We don't have inflation because the people are living too well. We have inflation because the Government is living too well.

-Ronald Reagan-
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2023, 07:28:17 pm »
We don't have inflation because the people are living too well. We have inflation because the Government is living too well.

-Ronald Reagan-

:thumbsup: