Author Topic: US Army base Fort Bragg drops Confederate name for Fort Liberty  (Read 616 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Army base Fort Bragg drops Confederate name for Fort Liberty
Posted Fri 2 Jun 2023 at 4:04pmFriday 2 Jun 2023 at 4:04pm, updated Fri 2 Jun 2023 at 4:11pmFriday 2 Jun 2023 at 4:11pm
Fort Liberty sign displayed outside the US Army base.
The name change is part of a broader initiative to remove Confederate names from US Army bases.
The Fort Bragg US military base in North Carolina has shed its Confederate title to become Fort Liberty in a ceremony some veterans say is a small but important step in making the army more welcoming to black service members.

Key points:
Fort Bragg was originally named after a Confederate general who was known for owning slaves
The cost of the renaming will total about $8 million
The proposed changes are to be implemented by January 1, 2024
The change was part of a broad Department of Defense initiative, motivated by the 2020 George Floyd protests, to rename military installations that had honoured Confederate soldiers.

The Black Lives Matter demonstrations that erupted nationwide after Mr Floyd's killing by a white police officer, coupled with ongoing efforts to remove Confederate monuments, turned the spotlight on the army installations.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-03/us-army-renames-fort-bragg-as-fort-liberty/102436308
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: US Army base Fort Bragg drops Confederate name for Fort Liberty
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 04:53:28 pm »
$8 million just to change the name.  Now there is money well spent. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 11:00:22 pm »
@rangerrebew

"We iz da wurld......

We iz da peep-pulls...

Cmon and sang hit wid me,comrades!

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 02:58:18 am »
Surely Bragg was "known for" more than owning slaves.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 05:10:45 am »
No kidding!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 01:30:28 pm »
$8 million just to change the name.  Now there is money well spent. :whistle:

And multiplied by the number of bases named for Mexican-American War generals and officers who later served on the Confederate side of the Civil War. A civilian example would be the city of Fort Bragg, CA, named to honor his service in the Mex-Am War, through which California became a US Territory.

How many .50 BMG or 25 mm M242 shells could be bought with that $8M flushed on stationery, signage, software/database updates, and etc.?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 01:31:16 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 01:35:09 pm »
We can still call it Fort Bragg (and I think most of the locals will).

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 02:57:10 pm »

@mountaineer

Ft.Bragg was the ONLY US Army base I was ever stationed at in the US,and I had no freaking idea what he was known for. I only had a vague recollection that someone claimed he was a Confederate General in the War of Independence.

Truth to tell,I had no real interest in knowing anything more about him. I had more important and relevant things to think about that someone who  had been probably been dead for 100 years.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!