Author Topic: From Counterinsurgency to Conventional Warfare: The Changing Role of U.S. Special Operations Forces  (Read 166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
From Counterinsurgency to Conventional Warfare: The Changing Role of U.S. Special Operations Forces
by SOFREP
23 hours ago

A monumental potential shift is on the horizon for the U.S. Army. At the heart of this sea of change lies a proposition to reduce special operations forces (SOF) programs by an estimated 10% in the forthcoming years. This decrease is part of a larger migration from unconventional warfare to an emphasis on conventional capabilities and larger-scale combat operations.

A Two-Decade Reliance on Special Operations Forces
The U.S. military’s reliance on its special operations forces for counterinsurgency operations has been integral over the past two decades. The number of U.S. special operations forces across all military branches doubled after the events of 9/11. This increase reflected the new reality of the Global War on Terror, with swift nighttime raids and training militias in the Middle East and Africa becoming central to the U.S. strategy. However, this trend is poised for a significant reconfiguration.

The Total Army Analysis, a strategic planning methodology used by the Army, projects a budget request for fiscal years 2025 to 2029, suggesting a roughly 10% reduction to SOF. The proposed reductions would mainly affect logistical and intelligence support—often called enablers—and could result in structural changes to some elite units.

https://sofrep.com/news/from-counterinsurgency-to-conventional-warfare-the-changing-role-of-u-s-special-operations-forces/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@rangerrebew

The proposed reductions would mainly affect logistical and intelligence support

What could POSSIBLY go wrong,there?

Go ahead,send them out on missions with NO ammo resupplies,medi-evacs,aire support,or intel,and see how long it take to discover you no longer have them because everybody has quit Special Operations and either gone back to the conventional army,or gone home after discharge.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!