Author Topic: Manhattan DA throws out another 316 convictions tied to dirty NYPD cops  (Read 261 times)

Offline Kamaji

Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg throws out another 316 convictions tied to dirty NYPD cops, bringing total to over 500

By Steven Vago
June 6, 2023

Hundreds of convictions tied to nine dirty NYPD cops have been tossed following a review of the cases by the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office, prosecutors announced Tuesday.

The 316 convictions — all misdemeanors save for eight felonies — were related to disgraced officers who have been found guilty of crimes including taking bribes, perjury, and official misconduct, while on the job, the DA’s office said.

“These cases represent hundreds of New Yorkers who have been living with the serious costs that come with a conviction, including barriers to employment, housing, and education,” District Attorney Alvin Bragg said in a statement.

“Beyond these devastating impacts on the individuals directly impacted, our city is collectively harmed when we prevent our friends, family, and neighbors from living stable and successful lives.”

The cases, reviewed by the DA’s Post Conviction Justice Unit, happened between 1996 and 2007 and resulted in 57 incarcerations and 132 fines, Bragg said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/06/alvin-bragg-throws-out-another-316-convictions-tied-to-dirty-nypd-cops/

Offline LMAO

My first instinct is to see the name Alvin Bragg, and his record on being weak on crime, as thinking this might not be a good idea

On the other hand, if the arresting officers have been convicted of being dirty, that puts a different face on this
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

My first instinct is to see the name Alvin Bragg, and his record on being weak on crime, as thinking this might not be a good idea

On the other hand, if the arresting officers have been convicted of being dirty, that puts a different face on this

The cops - I think there are nine overall involved in these cases - were dirty, and have been convicted of various crimes.  For the most part this appears to be real justice, and not some politically-motivated b.s. from Bragg.