Author Topic: Is Dominion’s offshore wind project ‘arbitrary and capricious’? NOAA says YES!  (Read 246 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Is Dominion’s offshore wind project ‘arbitrary and capricious’? NOAA says YES!
By Collister Johnson |May 27th, 2023

Recently, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has been issuing a raft of “Incidental Harassment Authorizations” (IHA) to offshore wind developers. The IHAs allow the developers to “harass” marine mammals – including critically endangered Right Whales – as long as the activity is “incidental” to some form of offshore wind development approved by the authorities.

When the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) was passed by Congress the lawmakers had in mind ‘incidental’ activities such as marine research work. Wind developers, however, have been applying for these permits as part of their “preconstruction” work – primarily sonar mapping of the ocean floor to plot the placement of connector cables and wind towers. Over the last two years, 16 of these IHA’s were approved by NOAA for developers of wind generation projects up and down the East Coast. Each of them allowed “incidental” activity only for a period of one year.

Just as critics of these IHAs feared, after these permits were authorized and preconstruction activity began, dozens of dead whales and dolphins started washing up on beaches from New York to Virginia. This prompted NOAA to issue a “Notice of Unusual Mortality Event”, which didn’t suspend the sonar mapping but did indicate that NOAA finally recognized, in the famous words of Apollo 11, “Houston, we have a problem”.

https://www.cfact.org/2023/05/27/is-dominions-offshore-wind-project-arbitrary-and-capricious-noaa-says-yes/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=is-dominions-offshore-wind-project-arbitrary-and-capricious-noaa-says-yes&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=is-dominions-offshore-wind-project-arbitrary-and-capricious-noaa-says-yes
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I wonder if "sonar mapping" includes investigating the underlying sediment--which would be more on the order of a geophysical survey, and require impulses orders of magnitude greater than merely mapping bottom contours?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis