Author Topic: 50 Years Later, Vietnam Veterans Finally Get Official Tribute to Their Service and Sacrifice  (Read 405 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
50 Years Later, Vietnam Veterans Finally Get Official Tribute to Their Service and Sacrifice

Richard Sisk
Tue, May 16, 2023 at 10:14 AM EDT
For three days last week, the government sought to make up for decades of neglect with a series of events on the National Mall meant as a symbolic "homecoming" for Vietnam veterans.

The United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration, set up by President Barack Obama in 2012 and authorized by Congress, billed the belated recognition as a "Welcome Home Celebration," although the term "celebration" can seem utterly out of place in reference to a long and divisive conflict that took the lives of more than 58,000 Americans and triggered widespread anti-war protests.

Navy Cmdr. Brian Wierzbicki, a Pentagon spokesman for the commemoration, said the intent of describing the events as a celebration was to mark the contributions of those who served in Vietnam on the 50th anniversary of the withdrawal of the last U.S. combat troops in March 1973.

https://news.yahoo.com/50-years-later-vietnam-veterans-141459537.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A few years ago I was at the Eisenhower farm at Gettysburg and got talking with a WWII vet who had  been wounded at the battle of the bulge.  When he found out I was a Viet Nam Vet, he straightened up and saluted saying "this government hasn't done shit for you guys."  So the shun by the government was no big secret. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline berdie

Offline libertybele

50 years .... a very long time coming.  :patriot: :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Speaking for myself ONLY,I don't give a squat about any reward ceremonies. I did what I did for myself because I thought it was something that needed doing,and I don't need any bogus "thanks" from politicians looking to polish their own reputations.

And "No,I am NOT bitter" in any respect. I got exactly what I expected to get from the professional criminal class we call politicians,which is "nothing".

I speak for no one but me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline berdie

Thank you for your service @sneakypete .

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Speaking for myself ONLY,I don't give a squat about any reward ceremonies. I did what I did for myself because I thought it was something that needed doing,and I don't need any bogus "thanks" from politicians looking to polish their own reputations.

And "No,I am NOT bitter" in any respect. I got exactly what I expected to get from the professional criminal class we call politicians,which is "nothing".

I speak for no one but me.

I'm a bit different @sneakypete I expected the "people" who put us in harm's way to at least pretend that they gave one shit about what we were SUPPOSED to be doing. My hopes were dashed across the board.

Edit to add; Hell yes I'm bitter!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 10:08:54 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm a bit different @sneakypete I expected the "people" who put us in harm's way to at least pretend that they gave one shit about what we were SUPPOSED to be doing. My hopes were dashed across the board.

Edit to add; Hell yes I'm bitter!

@Bigun

I never once expected anything BUT getting screwed by the pols,so this is one time being negative worked out for me. Carrying around a lot of bitterness hurts no one but you.

I worked with and fought with friends,almost all career soldiers,so the real truth is I was fighting to help try to save my friends.

I realize for most people the scenario was different,and they really didn't know anyone in the unit they got assigned to when they were ordered to VN,and I can see how THAT would have been a nightmare all of it's own. Not only do you not know what is going on most of the time,but neither does anyone around who will bother to speak to you.

I was on a physical profile (dislocated shoulder and pulled back muscles) when I landed in VN,so I had to spend the 1st 3 months in a conventional signal unit in VN until my profile expired. Hated EVERY freaking minute of it. Practically nobody there knew anyone else before they got there,and they were all treated like slaves by the NCO's and Officers in charge,and all of them were incompetent bleep reserve officers called up to active duty because of the war,and they didn't want to be there,and took it out on the troops because they could. I will never understand why ANYONE would re-enlist to serve in the regular army.

Anyhow,the day my physical profile ended,the 5th SFG sent a jeep over with orders transferring me back  to SF. Maybe THE happiest day of my life. All the NCO's and Officers in that Regular Army unit hated me  from the instant I got there. I am guessing it was because I was Regular Army,had volunteered to be there,and used the SF "Old Boy Network" to make sure I was transferrred back to SF the instant that was possible. None of them,of course,volunteered to go to VN. They joined the reserves  to keep from getting drafted and going to VN,so I guess I can understand why they were  so unhappy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 11:00:44 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Yeah @sneakypete I guess I turned out to be the biggest dumbass around back then. Hell, I was so stupid I thought the people running things at the time were actually on my side. How naive can one person be?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yeah @sneakypete I guess I turned out to be the biggest dumbass around back then. Hell, I was so stupid I thought the people running things at the time were actually on my side. How naive can one person be?

@Bigun

I guess you forgot about me. Here I am,on my 17th birthday,ONLY agreeing to sign the enlistment papers if they will guarantee me that I will get to go to jump school to be a paratrooper.

Hit jist doan git no dumer dan dat!