Author Topic: How Secrecy Limits Diversity  (Read 353 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How Secrecy Limits Diversity
« on: May 12, 2023, 06:55:15 pm »
How Secrecy Limits Diversity
The Security-Clearance Process Keeps Many Qualified People Out of America’s National Security Workforce
By Matthew Connelly and Patricia Irvin

In December 2022, the Department of Energy announced that it was righting a historic wrong. After an unprecedented reexamination of a decades-old case, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm decided to void the 1954 revocation of J. Robert Oppenheimer’s security clearance. The case of Oppenheimer, the famous nuclear physicist, sheds light on how the United States decides who can be trusted with access to classified information. The clearance process ultimately determines who has the knowledge and the power to play a role in defending the United States against all threats, foreign and domestic.

Oppenheimer’s revocation, Granholm announced, resulted from “the bias and unfairness of the process.” Despite being known as the “father of the atom bomb” for his crucial work developing the weapon, Oppenheimer rankled officials by opposing high-level decisions on thermonuclear weapons and the postwar world order. He was also the son of German Jewish immigrants, with friends and relatives who had politically progressive views—several were communists—at a time when many Americans treated Jews as intrinsically foreign and untrustworthy. The hearing board that decided Oppenheimer’s fate was made up of three men. Before the case was even presented, one of those men, Ward Evans, made his views clear when he declared that “almost without exception those who turned up before security review boards with subversive backgrounds and interests were Jewish.”

Exonerating Oppenheimer is hardly the end of the story, however. The security clearance process and other systems that determine who can access classified information—starting with who gets offered sensitive positions—have excluded countless other Americans, typically with little or no explanation or redress. In fact, Oppenheimer had far more advantages than others who have come under this kind of scrutiny. After all, Oppenheimer’s family was wealthy, and he was well connected. Since details about the stripping or denial of security clearances in individual cases are typically unavailable, there is no way to determine with real precision how many such cases have, over decades, shaped the composition of the foreign policymaking and national security community. But the limited information that is available suggests that people from marginalized groups in the United States have consistently had greater difficulty obtaining and retaining clearances than others. Along with clear disparities (and discrimination) in hiring and promotion, this is an important factor in explaining why people from these groups are less likely to hold national security positions—both relative to their representation in society at large and relative to representation in government jobs that do not require such clearances. This is especially true of the most senior positions where higher levels of security clearances are required.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/united-states/how-secrecy-limits-diversity
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: How Secrecy Limits Diversity
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 06:59:40 pm »
In my opinion, this article is total, utter, woke bullshit!!!!  There are many military secrets which are far more important than diversity as we have seen in the AF National Guard clown who unloaded all kinds of them a couple weeks ago.  Entrusting some information to someone who isn't trustworthy, but is diverse, may be a good way to get an army stomped. 9999hair out0000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 08:01:38 pm »
In addition, the authors of this bovine excrement argue that minorities can't advance because they don't get postings to other areas of the world. That blacks should get postings to Europe vs. Africa, Hispanics to Africa vs. Central/South America, etc....so I wonder how a black would fare as a spy in say, Vietnam or China?

Then there's the "arguing facts not in evidence", because I daresay that if I, a white, male, hetero were to EVER engage in such behavior, I'd be bounced before I could say boo...

"Even after obtaining a position and a security clearance, people who might bring more diverse perspectives to the national security workforce face a variety of challenges in seeking to move up the ladder. These include the daily grind of bias and harassment in the workplace, as well as the multitude of microaggressions—subtle negative, condescending, or stereotyped comments and actions that may or may not be intentional."

Sheesh, what a pant load...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 08:11:01 pm »
In my opinion, this article is total, utter, woke bullshit!!!!  There are many military secrets which are far more important than diversity as we have seen in the AF National Guard clown who unloaded all kinds of them a couple weeks ago.  Entrusting some information to someone who isn't trustworthy, but is diverse, may be a good way to get an army stomped. 9999hair out0000

Well, golllleee....if we can't trust military and state secrets to purveyors of Drag Queen Story Hours, then who can we trust?  **nononono*
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 08:56:45 pm »
Have they already forgotten about that traitor, Chelsea Manning?

Treason is already an equal opportunity crime.

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 08:58:55 pm »
:facepalm2:

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 09:56:56 am »
Have they already forgotten about that traitor, Chelsea Manning?

Treason is already an equal opportunity crime.

Let us not forget Gen. Milley!
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2023, 02:58:30 pm »

@rangerrebew

BINGO!

This is nothing more or less than just one more tool the left is using to try to destroy America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!