Author Topic: Climate Protesters Smear Paint on Case and Pedestal of Degas Sculpture at National Gallery of Art  (Read 183 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Climate Protesters Smear Paint on Case and Pedestal of Degas Sculpture at National Gallery of Art
Author profile picture

BY KAREN K. HO

Plus Icon
April 27, 2023 5:46pm
Two climate protesters from the group Declare Emergency are sitting down cross-legged next to the case and pedestal of Degas's sculpture "Little Dancer Aged Fourteen" at the National Gallery of Art after smearing black and red paint on it on April 27, 2023. The protestors' hands are covered in paint.

The protesters smeared black and red paint on the case and pedestal of Degas's sculpture "Little Dancer Aged Fourteen" at the National Gallery of Art.
COURTESY OF DECLARE EMERGENCY

On Thursday, two climate protesters dressed in suits smeared paint on the case and pedestal of Edgar Degas’s sculpture Little Dancer Aged Fourteen sculpture at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

The protest, which happened around 11 a.m., was aimed at bringing attention to the climate crisis. The protestors also demanded President Joe Biden declare a climate emergency as well as stop issuing new drilling permits and subsidies for fossil fuels. Two people were arrested.

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/climate-protesters-smear-paint-degas-sculpture-national-gallery-of-art-1234665877/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah, this sort of behaviour indicates to me that climate alarmists don't care what they destroy in order to get some attention.

Perhaps flogging them in a public square (maybe even on PPV) would give them the attention they crave.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis