Author Topic: Nuclear-Armed F-35 Massively Improves Deterrence Equation  (Read 95 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nuclear-Armed F-35 Massively Improves Deterrence Equation
« on: April 28, 2023, 05:50:22 pm »
Nuclear-Armed F-35 Massively Improves Deterrence Equation
Several years ago, the Pentagon was clear that it would develop the F-35A as a nuclear bomb attack platform
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATION12 HOURS AGO
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

(Washington D.C.) Several years ago, the Pentagon was clear that it would develop the F-35A as a nuclear bomb attack platform, which significantly helps the Pentagon’s strategic deterrence strategy by adding new tactical and operational possibilities for war commanders.

Deterrence Factor
The introduction or integration of nuclear weapons into any platform is of course likely to generate thoughtful discussion, as nobody wants to lower the threshold to nuclear war or any use of nuclear weapons. Nonetheless, there are several key variables to consider here such as the additional flexibility this development affords to the Pentagon’s deterrence posture, the kind of weapons it could carry, and the prospect of further deterring any potential use of tactical nuclear weapons.

The prospect introduces a certain critical question: should the Pentagon contemplate the possibility of some kind of limited, low-yield tactical nuclear response in the event of an attack? Some argue that any use of nuclear weapons, on any scale, should prompt a massive retaliation of full force. Sending such a message, the thinking extends, would prevent a potential adversary from contemplating any use of nuclear weapons of any level.

https://warriormaven.com/air/nuclear-armed-f-35-deterrence
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson