Author Topic: Why We Need ICBMs: Weapons of Mass Destruction That Keep the Peace  (Read 84 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why We Need ICBMs: Weapons of Mass Destruction That Keep the Peace
Russia and China are collectively building 12 new types of fixed and mobile land-based missiles of varying capability,

PETER HUESSY - WARRIOR SENIOR NUCLEAR WEAPONS ANALYST, SENIOR FELLOW - WARRIOR MAVEN, ATLANTIC COUNCIL, HUDSON INSTITUTEAPR 20, 2023
By Peter Huessy, Warrior Maven Senior Nuclear Weapons Analyst, Senior Fellow Warrior Maven, Atlantic Council, Hudson Institute -- President of Geo-Strategic Analysis

(Washington, D.C.) Nearly three years ago, the Louisiana Tech Research Institute, LTRI, sponsored a book project that in late summer 2020 resulted in the publication of a compendium of essays on nuclear deterrence and modernization. The “Guide to Nuclear Deterrence in the Age of Great-Power Competition” brought together twenty-two authors who dissected the complex strategic environment and explain how credible nuclear capability is the bedrock of America’s defense. According to LTRI, “To be credible, America must compete as Russia and China modernize to challenge international norms. This thought-provoking book will answer the reader’s question, ‘why does nuclear deterrence matter to me?’”

Nuclear Deterrence
The idea was originally a joint project idea put forward by top nuclear expert Adam Lowther and this author with the idea of bringing together in one publication the best ideas and analysis in the nuclear arena. After its publication, some in the disarmament community claimed the book actually advocated fighting a nuclear war and complained that although the writers were all senior professionals in the strategic nuclear arena, graduate students and non-nuclear professionals should also have a say about nuclear policy.

Well, there is a reason we don’t ask graduate students to make decisions about nuclear deterrence. They lack judgment and usually have little knowledge of history, and often become adherents to very strange and daffy ideas such as a nuclear freeze or unilateral concessions as the best means of promoting strategic stability.

https://warriormaven.com/global-security/why-we-need-icbms-weapons-of-mass-destruction-that-keep-the-peace
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson