Author Topic: For Some Wind Farms, Being Switched Off Is More Profitable  (Read 102 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
For Some Wind Farms, Being Switched Off Is More Profitable
« on: April 23, 2023, 11:40:08 am »
WRITTEN BY ANDREW MONTFORD ON APR 20, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

For Some Wind Farms, Being Switched Off Is More Profitable

moray eastMoray East is the first of the (allegedly) supercheap offshore wind farms. When it was awarded its Contract for Difference in 2017, the price agreed, £57.50 per megawatt hour, was said, somewhat naively, to herald a revolution in wind farm costs.

Last year, however, we were able to see how its build costs turned out. At £2.3m per megawatt of capacity, they were on the low side, if not revolutionary, although the site is only 22 km from land, which tends to keep costs down. [emphasis, links added]

That said, it is also in quite deep water, which tends to push them up. It, therefore, looks as though the developers have kept a pretty tight rein on spending.

Moray East is one of the first offshore wind farms to deploy 10-megawatt turbines, so it’s interesting to see how these have performed.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/for-some-wind-farms-being-switched-off-is-more-profitable/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson