Author Topic: When a City Plagued By Crime Votes for More Crime  (Read 392 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
When a City Plagued By Crime Votes for More Crime
« on: April 22, 2023, 08:35:20 pm »
When a City Plagued By Crime Votes for More Crime      
BY BYRON YORK
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19 2023

Johnson's reaction to the recent violence – don't ‘demonize’ criminals, create safe spaces for them – will surely frustrate those who see stronger law enforcement as the way to address Chicago's crime crisis. But it is precisely what Johnson campaigned on, and precisely what Chicago voters chose.

It was another weekend of violence and disorder in Chicago. "At least 32 shot, 8 fatally, in weekend violence across city," read one headline on the WLS-TV news website. Another headline said, "15 arrested in connection with Loop chaos after 2 teens shot." That story went on to report that a "large disturbance" – more accurately, a small riot – took place in the city's downtown area. Videos of the incident showed crowds of young people jumping on cars and buses. Later, at least one person pulled out a gun.

It was, in other words, just another weekend in Chicago. Except now, the city has a new mayor-elect who will be sworn in on May 15 after an election that turned on the issue of crime. "Chicago mayor's race dominated by concerns about city crime," read an Associated Press headline in late February. It was a fight between Democrats – Republicans don't have a chance in deepest-blue Chicago – and the question was who best can pull the city out of its crime crisis. Candidate Paul Vallas, with the endorsement of the police union, based his campaign on one principle: "We've got to restore public safety. Everything proceeds from that."

Opponent Brandon Johnson, a Cook County commissioner and former teacher's union organizer, was on the "defund the police" left. Johnson later claimed he never supported the idea of defunding the police, but on a Chicago radio appearance, he talked about "our effort and our move to redirect and defund the amount of money that is spent in policing." And as a county commissioner, Johnson wrote a resolution to "redirect funds from policing and incarceration to public services not administered by law enforcement that promote community health and safety equitably."

https://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/54-state-of-affairs/6295-when-a-city-plagued-by-crime-votes-for-more-crime
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: When a City Plagued By Crime Votes for More Crime
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 09:04:45 pm »
It's hard to get outraged when people are doing it to themselves, and have full control to stop it. Not going to waste my time shouting at the clouds.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 07:58:49 pm »
It's hard to get outraged when people are doing it to themselves, and have full control to stop it. Not going to waste my time shouting at the clouds.

Yup.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 08:38:50 pm »

I recently had a conversation with someone who lamented to crime in these cities and stated “we need to do something”

I asked what should we do? These people keep voting for the instruments of their destruction. We can’t force them to vote a certain way.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 04:41:25 pm »
That is why I've given up on this country and the world in general.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 05:25:24 pm »
Why do you keep hitting yourself in the head with a hammer?
Because it feels so good when you stop.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.