Author Topic: Cracker Barrel Is Under Fire for Its "Racist" Name  (Read 2029 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Cracker Barrel Is Under Fire for Its "Racist" Name
« on: April 09, 2023, 04:50:53 pm »
Cracker Barrel Is Under Fire for Its "Racist" Name
Story by Gina Vaynshteyn • 3h ago

The comfort food-style restaurant chain Cracker Barrel, known for its overwhelming amount of ornamental knick-knacks and vintage signs plastered on the walls, is in some social media trouble today. Folks on the internet are claiming Cracker Barrel is racist.

What’s the meaning behind Cracker Barrel?
According to Southern Living, “cracker-barrel” was coined in 1916 because of barrels containing soda crackers — a popular item for sale at country stores. Customers at said country stores would hang around the barrels as a kind of ritual (kind of like the trope of employees gossiping near the water cooler). The first Cracker Barrel location opened in 1969 in Lebanon, Tenn., and it derived its name from the cracker-barrel community experience back in the day.

According to Dictionary.com, “cracker-barrel” means “of or suggesting the simple rustic informality and directness thought to be characteristic of life in and around the country store.”

But some Twitter users have also pointed out that the term "cracker" might have another, more racist connotation. According to NPR, the term "cracker" was used in the mid-18th century to refer to poor white people in states like Maryland, Virginia, and Georgia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cracker-barrel-is-under-fire-for-its-racist-name/ar-AA19EpPV?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ccf8e6a1435a4bf7b6615f8018ad9d83&ei=33
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Cracker Barrel Is Under Fire for Its "Racist" Name
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 04:51:29 pm »
 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 05:28:37 pm »
It was only a matter of time....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 05:34:13 pm »
I hope Cracker Barrel tells the Nazis to go perform an impossible act on themselves.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 05:37:53 pm »
I hope Cracker Barrel tells the Nazis to go perform an impossible act on themselves.

I'd be surprised of they have the guts to defend the name.  They already changed the logo to appease the racists.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 06:29:37 pm »
Po' Folks be next.  It is demeaning to southern black folks.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 06:38:05 pm »
What are we supposed to call those thin, crispy baked items, then?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 06:45:31 pm »
What are we supposed to call those thin, crispy baked items, then?

by whatever their chosen Pronoun may  happen to be

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 06:47:14 pm »
Actually, as a term for a group of people, at least in Florida, “cracker” referred to the white field-bosses who would “crack” the whip over the field workers.  Hence the appellation “cracker”.

Twitter, of course, has once again gotten it wrong.

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 06:56:23 pm »
Actually, as a term for a group of people, at least in Florida, “cracker” referred to the white field-bosses who would “crack” the whip over the field workers.  Hence the appellation “cracker”.

twiiter is POST Literate....that is Post ILLITERATE......in a couple of ways

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 07:02:54 pm »

In the Maryland of my youth, "cracker" was a term for "poor white trash".

Just as among the Black community ni**er was a 'low' (morally) black person of ill repute. 
It was people of predominantly white areas (often urban) who used the latter term to pejoratively describe all Blacks, who neither saw nor understood the difference between "good colored folks" and the less desirable elements in that community.
Now, even the term "colored people" is seen as racist, while "People of Color" is some sort of rallying cry.  :shrug: **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023, 07:57:05 pm »
In the Maryland of my youth, "cracker" was a term for "poor white trash".

Just as among the Black community ni**er was a 'low' (morally) black person of ill repute. 
It was people of predominantly white areas (often urban) who used the latter term to pejoratively describe all Blacks, who neither saw nor understood the difference between "good colored folks" and the less desirable elements in that community.
Now, even the term "colored people" is seen as racist, while "People of Color" is some sort of rallying cry.  :shrug: **nononono*

Yep. A cracker, in the common redneck parlance, would be 'trailer trash' today...

When the black folks started using cracker as a diminutive against all white folks, I think the connotation blurred.

Offline verga

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 12:50:32 pm »
Love the food and wandering through the "store" to see the cool Chatch keys
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 01:08:34 pm »
I hope they stand firm with their name.

Offline verga

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2023, 03:07:21 pm »
I hope they stand firm with their name.
:amen:
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2023, 03:29:21 pm »
More nonsense.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2023, 03:55:34 pm »
Po' Folks be next.  It is demeaning to southern black folks.

Does that chain even exist anymore?  We had one here in the '80's, but haven't seen one since it closed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2023, 04:20:06 pm »
Does that chain even exist anymore?  We had one here in the '80's, but haven't seen one since it closed.

We have two near us.  One over in Bay County.  But they may be like what happened to Blockbuster at the end.  an independent Franchise using the name with no Corp to support it?

Offline verga

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2023, 05:03:02 pm »
They are popular here in the south.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2023, 05:43:36 pm »
They are popular here in the south.

Their website lists only Florida locations.  They used to have on in Mesa, AZ that I liked quite a bit.
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2023, 06:18:28 pm »
I have never been to one, but like the extra sharp cheddar...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online goatprairie

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2023, 11:54:54 pm »

Yep. A cracker, in the common redneck parlance, would be 'trailer trash' today...

When the black folks started using cracker as a diminutive against all white folks, I think the connotation blurred.
There is The National Association For The Advancement Of Colored People or NAACP the most well-known and respected black civil rights advocacy org. in America.
But if you call a black person a colored person, you are a racist I can't figure it out.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2023, 01:04:15 am »
Can you margin if Sambo's was still around?  Poor little Black Sambo.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2023, 01:18:54 am »
Name Origin: The term “Cracker-Barrel” was first used in 1916 and was inspired by the barrels of crackers that sat on the front porch of the old-time general stores.  The only derogatory way I've heard it used is against white people.

Offline verga

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2023, 11:51:16 am »
Their website lists only Florida locations.  They used to have on in Mesa, AZ that I liked quite a bit.
There are at least 3 within 20 miles of where I live here in Virginia