Author Topic: DOEd moves to scrap Trump-era rule protecting faith-based campus groups  (Read 186 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DOEd moves to scrap Trump-era rule protecting faith-based campus groups
The Department of Education is proposing to eliminate a Trump-era requirement that public colleges and universities recognize religious student groups and provide them equal protection.
Public comment to the Department of Education is open until March 24, 2023.
Article image
Gabrielle M. Etzel | Reporter
March 22, 2023, 10:46 am

The Department of Education (DOEd) has published a formal rule proposal to eliminate religious liberty provisions of the “Free Inquiry” rule for public colleges and universities, potentially putting religious student groups at risk.

President Donald Trump issued an executive order in March 2019 seeking “to promote free and open debate on college and university campuses” by tying federal educational and research grants to the institution’s protection of free speech and religious exercise. An official DOEd rule was published in November 2020, which specified protections for religious student groups.

Although private institutions are not bound by First Amendment restrictions, which only apply to government actors, this rule obligates them to uphold stated institutional policies on academic freedom, free speech, and free association.

https://campusreform.org/article?id=21590
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson