Author Topic: Texas Senate bill proposes arrests of anyone, anywhere crossing border illegally  (Read 408 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Texas Senate bill proposes arrests of anyone, anywhere crossing border illegally
by: Julianna Russ, Monica Madden

Posted: Mar 11, 2023 / 01:09 PM CST

Updated: Mar 11, 2023 / 01:09 PM CST

AUSTIN (Nexstar) — A Texas Republican senator is proposing a bill that would create a new crime for those who cross the border illegally, authorizing law enforcement to arrest and prosecute anyone who crosses the border, and can do so anywhere in the state.

Sen. Brian Birdwell, R-Granbury, filed Senate Bill 2424 on Friday, the deadline for state lawmakers to introduce any new legislation.

According to a news release from Lt. Governor Dan Patrick’s office, the penalties would be up to one year in jail for the first offense, two years in state jail for a second offense, and up to life in prison for convicted felons who cross the border illegally.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/texas-senate-bill-proposes-arrests-of-anyone-anywhere-crossing-border-illegally/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have to admit that I am so ignorant I was assuming this was ALREADY the law,and had been the law ever since someone decided we needed a border.

Since it apparently is NOT the law,by what authority does the Border Patrol have to even exist,never mind arrest aliens for crossing our borders?

Hell,AFATG,what right do we even have to HAVE borders?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:34:24 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

I have to admit that I am so ignorant I was assuming this was ALREADY the law,and had been the law ever since someone decided we needed a border.

Since it apparently is NOT the law,by what authority does the Border Patrol have to even exist,never mind arrest aliens for crossing our borders?

Hell,AFATG,what right do we even have to HAVE borders?

This is state law, not federal law. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This is state law, not federal law.

@Kamaji

Doesn't federal law trump (NO pun intended) state laws?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
What is this bill expecting of Texans?  Should we house and feed them for life in our prisons? NO!   :shrug:

Offline Kamaji

@Kamaji

Doesn't federal law trump (NO pun intended) state laws?

That doesn't mean that states have the power to enforce federal law of their own volition.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
This will be so dilluted and messed up after the left does all its legal challenges. 

Not optimistic.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.