Author Topic: JADC2 or How to Eat an Elephant: Six Principles for Success  (Read 79 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
JADC2 or How to Eat an Elephant: Six Principles for Success
« on: February 21, 2023, 12:08:47 pm »
JADC2 or How to Eat an Elephant: Six Principles for Success
.By William McHenry

The internet is the most complex network humanity has ever created. Joint All Domain Command and Control (JADC2), if fulfilled in the entirety of its purpose, has the potential to be humanity's second most complex network. The internet was built using a decentralized approach, allowing anyone meeting common standards to join, communicate, and share data. The internet would not be what it is today if early proponents and contributors had insisted that it be created top-down with proprietary components and differing standards.

Over the last several years, the Department of Defense (DoD) has invested billions of dollars to build a system of bespoke command and control networks that will eventually link sensors to shooters and provide a common operating picture for decision making. Initial efforts have not been well integrated across the Services. DoD and the separate Armed Services seem to have again taken an approach that will preclude the rapid adoption and expansion of JADC2.   

While U.S. doctrine holds that the individual Armed Services fight as a Joint Military Force with elements of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Guardians and Marines fighting side by side, the Army (Overmatch), Navy (Convergence) and Air Force (Advanced Battle Management System (ABMS) have chosen to build separate, incompatible, and bespoke networks. While it is unrealistic and inefficient to dictate a common network architecture across the Services with their varying needs and mission sets, there are a set of expectations/standards that if followed, will allow JADC2 to come together in a decentralized manner to meet future mission sets. The expectations are:

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/02/21/jadc2_or_how_to_eat_an_elephant_six_principles_for_success_882871.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson