Author Topic: 'Skip breakfast' to 'save money' says Wall Street Journal amid rising food costs  (Read 1570 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

'Skip breakfast' to 'save money' says Wall Street Journal amid rising food costs

Juices, eggs, coffee, wheat products are all at record high levels, the report states, so maybe just skip the whole thing, the Wall Street Journal suggested.

The Post Millennial
Feb 15, 2023 2 minute read

Amid woes of inflation and high food costs, the Wall Street Journal has suggested that perhaps Americans should skip breakfast to save money. Breakfast staples, they write, are showing massive price increases for a variety of reasons, so maybe just don't eat it.

Juices, eggs, coffee, wheat products are all at record high levels, the report states, so maybe just skip the whole thing, the Wall Street Journal suggested, perhaps taking a page from The Babylon Bee's book.

Pushback to the concept on Twitter was fierce and swift—which could have been part of the point of the WSJ's intent.

Senator John Kennedy was incredulous, remarking "Skipping meals to make ends meet? This is how badly Biden’s economy is beating down average Americans."

https://twitter.com/SenJohnKennedy/status/1625896306764918801

more
https://thepostmillennial.com/skip-breakfast-to-save-money-says-wall-street-journal-amid-rising-food-costs
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And if you already skipped breakfast?

Then what?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Polly Ticks

Then what?

Skip it harder, slacker!
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online LMAO

Then what?

Skip lunch?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

Why not simply stop voting for Democrats instead?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

Why not simply stop voting for Democrats instead?

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

"Let them eat cake"

No mater what you say, nothing ever changes...  :shrug:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Not exactly on topic but the markets are down 1.8- 2.2% today, and near 4% for the past few weeks.

Some  high profile 4Q22 earnings misses by Meta and Home Depot are fueling the sell off.   And the street may be seeing this as harbringer of more to come.

Mid to Long T Bonds are ratcheting up, and approaching 4% too.   Mid Caps seem to be holding their own, so at least the bear isn't into full roar yet
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

So brave, so bold, so perfectly on point. Let's just stop eating altogether.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

Nah...just eat scrabbled earthworms and cricket meatloaf. We'll all be fine. **nononono*

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, there's always bugs... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Well, there's always bugs... :shrug:

Honestly, if we really do see a SHTF scenario, snakes will be a good source of protein.  All are edible, and if you believe our local park rangers, there are more of these critters per square mile in my location  than anywhere else in the United States.   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline berdie

Honestly, if we really do see a SHTF scenario, snakes will be a good source of protein.  All are edible, and if you believe our local park rangers, there are more of these critters per square mile in my location  than anywhere else in the United States.

Same here @catfish1957 . I hear they taste like chicken, lol. It's just catching, skinning and cooking one that gives me the shivers. :terror: But if it comes to eating snake or bugs...

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If We Didn't Have To Eat
BY NIXON WATERMAN

Life would be an easy matter
    If we didn't have to eat.
        If we never had to utter,
        "Won't you pass the bread and butter,
Likewise push along that platter
    Full of meat?"
    Yes, if food were obsolete
    Life would be a jolly treat,
If we didn't - shine or shower,
Old or young, 'bout every hour -
    Have to eat, eat, eat, eat, eat -
    'Twould be jolly if we didn't have to eat.

We could save a lot of money
        Could we cease our busy buying,
        Baking, broiling, brewing, frying,
Life would then be oh, so sunny
    And complete;
    And we wouldn't fear to greet
    Every grocer in the street
If we didn't - man and woman,
Every hungry, helpless human -
    Have to eat, eat, eat, eat, eat -
    We'd save money if we didn't have to eat.

All our worry would be over
        Would the butcher, baker, grocer
        Get our hard-earned dollars? No, Sir!
We would then be right in clover
    Cool and sweet.
    Want and hunger we could cheat,
    And we'd get there with both feet,
If we didn't - poor or wealthy,
Halt or nimble, sick or healthy -
    Have to eat, eat, eat, eat, eat,
    We could get there if we didn't have to eat.

Offline mountaineer

I'll go to the golf course and harvest a few geese before I venture into the many joys of snake cuisine.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:23:03 pm by catfish1957 »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

I'll go to the golf course and harvest a few geese before I venture into the many joys of snake cuisine.

:silly:

Up at our Yankee location, I almost hit one of those nasty creatures on the road, and envisoned some tree hugger getting me jailed for the offense.  Man are they obnoxious.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 11:23:29 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline roamer_1

There's a whole lot easier than snake, man.... :whistle:

Online catfish1957

There's a whole lot easier than snake, man.... :whistle:

lol....  When I mow, on an average summer afternoon, I will see 3-5.... mostly big ones.

Don't get me wrong, that is an extreme option.  I have always been quoted that I thought Cow was the best tasting animal on earth.  Don't plan on deviating from that opinion.

Offline roamer_1

Same here @catfish1957 . I hear they taste like chicken, lol. It's just catching, skinning and cooking one that gives me the shivers. :terror: But if it comes to eating snake or bugs...

It's got to be a pretty big snake to make it worth it... Even then, they tend to be bony. The only thing around here worth eating would be a Timber rattler or a Diamondback. Maybe the odd king snake.

It is alright... Does taste like chicken I guess, but with more of a pork texture.

Offline roamer_1

That's right ... Though I would eat dang near anything else before water birds. FISH... Plenty of fish for everyone. Alright. I'll eat a honker. But I won't like it.

Online catfish1957

It's got to be a pretty big snake to make it worth it... Even then, they tend to be bony. The only thing around here worth eating would be a Timber rattler or a Diamondback. Maybe the odd king snake.

It is alright... Does taste like chicken I guess, but with more of a pork texture.

This would be the snake filet mignon.........  Stubby, meaty, and heavy.   :silly:

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.

I bet myself that you’d be the one to have tried snake.  :silly:
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline roamer_1

lol....  When I mow, on an average summer afternoon, I will see 3-5.... mostly big ones.

Don't get me wrong, that is an extreme option.  I have always been quoted that I thought Cow was the best tasting animal on earth.  Don't plan on deviating from that opinion.

Actually not true... I much prefer moose to anything, with bison and elk pretty close to cow... but bison for sure, and probably elk preferred over cattle.

Offline roamer_1

This would be the snake filet mignon.........  Stubby, meaty, and heavy.   :silly:

I actually think I had Cottonmouth down in Kansas....

Offline roamer_1

I bet myself that you’d be the one to have tried snake.  :silly:

A fair bet... At least around here... The only thing I can think of that I AIN'T ate from around here is marmot. Pretty much everything else I have eaten, at least some.