Author Topic: Elite University Department Bans Use Of Word ‘Field,’ Claiming It’s Too Racist  (Read 564 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Elite University Department Bans Use Of Word ‘Field,’ Claiming It’s Too Racist
US-HEALTH-VIRUS-EDUCATION
(Photo by FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images)

Daily Caller News Foundation logo

ALEXA SCHWERHA
CONTRIBUTOR
January 10, 2023
10:08 AM ET

The University of Southern California (USC) Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work will no longer use the world “field” in its curriculum or its practices as part of its anti-racist framework, according to an email reportedly sent Monday.

The school reportedly stripped the word from use due to alleged ties to “anti-Black” and “anti-immigrant” rhetoric, according to the email sent by the Practicum Education Department to the campus community, faculty, staff and students. The school informed that the word “practicum” would be used instead to “ensure [its] use of inclusive language and practice.” (RELATED: Stanford University Attempts To Ban ‘Harmful’ Words, List Includes ‘American’)

“This change supports anti-racist social work practice by replacing language that could be considered anti-Black or anti-immigrant in favor of inclusive language,” the email reportedly reads. “Language can be powerful, and phrases such as ‘going into the field’ or ‘field work’ may have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign.”

https://dailycaller.com/2023/01/10/elite-university-department-bans-word-field-racist/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 04:26:36 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Not once in my 75 years and two master's degrees, have I been intelligent enough to come to the same conclusion as they- - until they raised my awareness.  Who says universities aren't worth anything? :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, what are they gonna call that magnetic thingy that, well, makes the generator work?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
That Uni Admin certainly is outstanding in a field on this
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Might as well get rid of the whole state of Iowa then.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

Does this include farms (where a farmer is outstanding, heh heh), the grassy places football games are played, the verb that means "to catch or pick up (something, such as a batted ball) and usually throw to a teammate" or "to take care of or respond to (something, such as a telephone call or a request)," or the two-point shot in basketball, to-wit, field goal?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Etymology
From Late Latin, neuter of practicus (“practical”), from Ancient Greek πρακτικός (praktikós, “of or pertaining to action, concerned with action or business, active, practical”), from πράσσω (prássō, “I do”).

Wasting time. The idiots of today ... are all, just a waste of time.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well shut my White racist mouf! Who knew that field work , field of crops, soccer field, ball field, field of view, field of candidates, etc. were all racist because of the use of the word field. :silly:

It appears that the word 'elite' is now synonymous with 'asinine'  :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:07:11 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Hoodat

University of Spoiled Children
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

"practicum" - is that a Latin word?

Latin is hateful because:

1.) The Latin language has its origins in a mysogynist, racist, xenophoic, imperial society.

2.) Latin is the language of the Roman Catholic Church which has its roots in Judeo-Christian patriarchical traditon that asserts there is only one true male God that sent His only male child, Jesus, to Earth to wash away Original Sin, which is attributed Eve, a woman.

3.) Latin is a language embraced by the elites of the law profession who use it to implement systems that are mysogynist, racist, xenophobic, classist, and oppressive to those without privilege.

They need to pick another non-offensive word from a non-offensive language with a non-offensive history.  Good luck with that, since most languages spread via conquest.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum