Author Topic: Colleges — And Students — Took An Axe To Free Speech In 2022. Here Are Some Of The Worst Examples  (Read 260 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Colleges — And Students — Took An Axe To Free Speech In 2022. Here Are Some Of The Worst Examples

Daily Caller News Foundation logo

ALEXA SCHWERHA
CONTRIBUTOR
January 01, 2023
10:21 AM ET

College campuses continued their hostile attitude toward free speech in 2022 by implementing policies which restricted on-campus speech, while students disrupted speakers they did not agree with.

These incidents, which raised concern about schools’ commitment to protecting free speech rights, experts told the Daily Caller News Foundation, largely targeted conservative speech throughout the year. Colleges also used reporting systems and strict policies to police what was said on campus. 
“One of the biggest problems we’ve seen on campus in 2022 is the return of the heckler’s veto, or attempts to silence speakers using substantial disruption or violence,” Zach Greenberg, program officer at the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE), told the DCNF. “We’ve seen protestors shout down, drown out, and even throw manure to shut down expression.”

In November, students successfully shut down conservative pundit Ann Coulter’s speech at Cornell University by shouting her down, playing circus music and making fart noises, the Cornell Review reported. One student yelled that Coulter’s words were “violence” and that her “ideas” were not welcome at the Ivy League campus.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/01/01/legal-groups-student-speech-rights-2022/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson