Author Topic: Why is the Biden administration changing its mind on giving Patriot missiles to Ukraine?  (Read 395 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why is the Biden administration changing its mind on giving Patriot missiles to Ukraine?
US officials had said from the war’s early days that there were many reasons not to give Patriots to Ukraine. What changed?

Joshua Keating

December 15, 2022
In Ukraine, the realm of the possible is always expanding.

In the early days of the conflict, despite Ukraine’s pleas for more advanced air defense capabilities, U.S. officials were adamant that Patriot missiles, the U.S. military’s premier air defense system, were not on the table. “There’s no discussion about putting a Patriot battery in Ukraine,” a senior defense official told Defense One in March, citing the number of troops — usually around 90 — required to operate a single Patriot missile battery, and the extensive training they would require. Other objections included cost, the relative scarcity of available Patriots, and the fact that they’re not really designed for combating many of the weapons Russia is firing at Ukraine.

U.S. and NATO officials continued to cite these objections in the months that followed. As recently as the end of November, when asked about the possibility of sending Patriots to Ukraine, Secretary of State Antony Blinken replied, “We’ve helped the Ukrainians adapt by making sure that the weapon systems that we were giving them — and many others are giving them — are actually fit for the threat that they’re facing.” In other words, they still weren’t convinced Ukraine needed the Patriots.

Now, however, it appears the U.S. has decided that Patriots are fit for the threat. As CNN first reported Tuesday, the Biden administration is finalizing plans to send a Patriot battery to Ukraine. This would reportedly be a battery already deployed somewhere overseas. Countries bordering Ukraine, including Poland and Slovakia, have received Patriots since the war began. While Patriots, as a defensive system, are considered less of an escalation risk than other systems Ukraine is asking for like fighter aircraft and battle tanks, the Russian government has nonetheless described them as a provocation that could have unpredictable consequences and has said they will be a legitimate target for Russian strikes.

https://www.grid.news/story/global/2022/12/15/why-is-the-biden-administration-changing-its-mind-on-giving-patriot-missiles-to-ukraine/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why?  Biden doesn't want his ally, Vlady Putin, upset with him. 0052
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

...a senior defense official told Defense One in March, citing the number of troops — usually around 90 — required to operate a single Patriot missile battery, and the extensive training they would require.

This is how you drag the US into a war... It would take to long to train Ukraine to use the Patriot so it is easier to send the US troops already using the system... of course under the guise of "inventory" takers...

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Pedo Joe's policies are creating a perfect storm of disaster on both the domestic and international front.  Comng soon, will be decoupling of many commodies, currency, and equity trading entities to the Dollar.

How do deal with it?  Distract with a major war.  Longest political strategy on the books, and that is all that Pedo Joe will have left.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, and Venezuela may attempt to establish a global reserve currency to compete with the Dollar.

No American Dollars, no American sanctions.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

This is how you drag the US into a war... It would take to long to train Ukraine to use the Patriot so it is easier to send the US troops already using the system... of course under the guise of "inventory" takers...

Exactly...deja vu  Viet Nam
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34