Author Topic: The Air Force is trying out a new kind of tanker: its C-17 cargo plane  (Read 1317 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Air Force is trying out a new kind of tanker: its C-17 cargo plane
By Rachel S. Cohen
 Dec 13, 05:32 PM

On Dec. 2, a C-17 Globemaster III refueled a B-2 Spirit stealth bomber on the ground for the first time — the latest test of the cargo jet’s versatility. The experiment was a milestone for the bomber as well, expanding its ability to hopscotch around the globe.

“What happens when you need fuel but there’s no air refueling available? Call us,” Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina, said on Twitter.

The experiment is part of a string of events over the past few years that have aimed to give the Air Force’s mobility fleet more flexibility in combat, rather than stringently sticking to the missions for which its jets were built. It’s taken on new urgency in an era of nonstop aerial refueling sorties that have stretched the Air Force thin and forced it to consider outsourcing those missions.

“This capability was designed into the C-17 but not considered widely necessary in previous use of the aircraft,” said Maj. Ross Jensen, 437th Operations Group special operations division deputy director, in an email. “As we prepare for the future, the Air Force is looking for additional ways to increase the operational range of aircraft without solely using air refueling platforms.”

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2022/12/13/the-air-force-is-trying-out-a-new-kind-of-tanker-its-c-17-cargo-plane/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

Re: The Air Force is trying out a new kind of tanker: its C-17 cargo plane
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 02:11:05 pm »
So all you need now is a 12,000 ft runway and some parking areas...  :whistle: