Author Topic: Bell’s V-280 Valor tiltrotor won against Sikorsky’s Defiant compound helicopter and is set to become  (Read 279 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bell’s V-280 Valor tiltrotor won against Sikorsky’s Defiant compound helicopter and is set to become the new utility rotorcraft of the U.S. Army.

The U.S. Army has awarded the Future Long Range Assault Aircraft contract to Bell and its V-280 Valor tiltrotor. The announcement arrived on December 5, 2022 and represents the service’s largest helicopter procurement decision in 40 years. The Army initiated the FLRAA program in 2019 as part of its Future Vertical Lift initiative to replace a portion of its assault and utility helicopter fleet. The FLRAA is intended to eventually replace the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter, which has been in service for more than four decades.

“This down-select represents a strategic pivot for Army Aviation to the transformational speed and range our Army needs to dominate future battlefields,” said Maj. Gen. Walter Rugen, director of the Future Vertical Lift Cross-Functional Team. “The prototyping and risk-reduction efforts allowed the Army to significantly reduce the time needed to get to today’s announcement.”

The FLRAA program will expand the depth of the battlefield by extending the reach of air assault missions and enabling ground forces to converge through decentralized operations at extended distances. The Army, in fact, required FLRAA to be capable, among all thinga, of traveling roughly 2,440 nautical miles without refueling, in addition to being agile enough to safely maneuver troops into dangerous hot spots.

https://theaviationist.com/2022/12/07/lets-talk-about-the-flraa/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anybody actually know anything about these two.

Was the best one picked,and why?

Hope it didn't have anything to do with defense contracts to a state with a more influential political leadership.

BTW,I know absolutely nothing about either design,or where they are manufacted.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Anybody actually know anything about these two.

Was the best one picked,and why?

Hope it didn't have anything to do with defense contracts to a state with a more influential political leadership.

BTW,I know absolutely nothing about either design,or where they are manufacted.
Well from what I can see the V-280 is third generation tilt rotor with it's benefits and can go a reported 322MPH while the Sikorsky is a dual stacked rotor helicopter with a current reported speed of 235 mph. With your experience which would you prefer for combat support? I haven't a clue :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well from what I can see the V-280 is third generation tilt rotor with it's benefits and can go a reported 322MPH while the Sikorsky is a dual stacked rotor helicopter with a current reported speed of 235 mph. With your experience which would you prefer for combat support? I haven't a clue :shrug:

@GtHawk

MY vote would go for the tilt rotor aircraft,based on what you posted. It will get there quicker,probably hold a whole platoon suited up for a combat mission at one time,and then land just like a helicopter.

Pick the helicopter,and it only holds and carries fewer troops and takes longer to get where you are going.

Even IF the new eggbeater can hold and carry a whole platoon suited up for a combat assault,it is slower,and sometimes you need faster to keep people from dying.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!