Author Topic: SUSTAINABLE AVIATION FUEL: INVESTING IN THE FUTURE  (Read 280 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SUSTAINABLE AVIATION FUEL: INVESTING IN THE FUTURE
« on: October 28, 2022, 11:51:31 am »
DAVID ALMANOCTOBER 25, 2022

General Jimmy Doolittle is typically remembered for his exploits as a test pilot and combat leader during War II. Yet his greatest contribution to the war effort may have come years earlier, when Doolittle was an executive with Shell Oil Company in the 1930s. There, he convinced Shell to invest in producing a new grade of aviation fuel — 100 octane — to replace the 87 octane fuel then in use. 100 octane fuel, combined with other advances in engine technology, provided American aircraft with a significant performance advantage over competitors. It was a prescient investment.

With the new fuel came increased performance, such as greater speed and climb rates along with reduced takeoff distances. It was just one of many edges the Allied air forces used to ultimately prevail in the conflict. The massive growth in 100 octane fuel use during the war fueled the next generation of civilian aircraft; even today, general aviation aircraft use a modified version of the same 100 octane fuel that powered American fighters and bombers in the skies over Europe and Japan.

Today, private industry and government have an opportunity to invest in another new kind of fuel to provide for the national defense: sustainable aviation fuel. There are challenges, just as there were in the 1930s, but the opportunity for the United States is significant. A commitment by the Department of Defense to buy a set quantity of sustainable aviation fuel could help catalyze further private-sector investment and deliver meaningful benefits to national security. While sustainable aviation fuel will not yet provide an equivalent performance increase as 100-octane did, it brings with it other strategic benefits meriting consideration. These benefits include increased energy security, more stable aviation fuel prices for defense consumers, and diplomatic victories. The United States has a once-a-century opportunity to position itself on the leading edge of a new energy source; it would do well to not let the opportunity pass it by. 

https://warontherocks.com/2022/10/sustainable-aviation-fuel-investing-in-the-future/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline EdinVA

Re: SUSTAINABLE AVIATION FUEL: INVESTING IN THE FUTURE
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 12:01:24 pm »
...adversely affect the Defense Department’s ability to plan and budget effectively
:silly:

Offline rustynail

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 12:55:57 pm »
                                                                                         Keep this crap up there will not be a future.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 01:03:12 pm »
When my lil sis worked at the airport, she'd fill up her car with av gas.