Author Topic: Net Benefit: Rising CO2 Improves Essential Crop Yields 3% Per Year – Critical to Feeding The World  (Read 205 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 Climate and energy news from Germany - by Pierre L. Gosselin

Net Benefit: Rising CO2 Improves Essential Crop Yields 3% Per Year – Critical to Feeding The World
By Kenneth Richard on 12. September 2022

Share this...
The elevated CO2 fertilization effect is driving global greening trends, pushing back deserts, enhancing photosynthesis by 30 to 50%, improving water use efficiency, and boosting crop yields by about 3% every year since 1961.
Recently atmospheric CO2 has been rising at a rate of about 3 ppm per year. While activists claim this is an existential problem for the climate, there will be a critical need for food production as the world population grows by another billion in the coming decades.

The good news heralded by a new study finds gross primary production increased by over 30% over the 2oth century, and the global maize, rice, soybean, wheat yields have increased by ~3% per year since 1961.

There are 2 main reasons for the rapid increase in crop yields in recent decades: “technological progress and CO2 fertilization” (Altimonti et al., 2022). Likewise, the root of the modern global greening phenomenon “pushing back deserts around the world” and improving water-use efficiency is “the increase of atmospheric CO2.”

https://notrickszone.com/2022/09/12/net-benefit-rising-co2-improves-essential-crop-yields-3-per-year-critical-to-feeding-the-world/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:26:01 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson