Author Topic: British public advised to be 'less squeamish' about drinking recycled sewage  (Read 1042 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
British public advised to be 'less squeamish' about drinking recycled sewage

By Ian Miles Cheong | August 29, 2022 | News

Brits are being told to suck it up, and that they need to be “less squeamish” about drinking recycled sewage in the face of climate change.

The head of Britain’s Environment Agency wrote in the Sunday Times a variety of measures that the government, water companies, and regular people need to take to avoid droughts – which are predicted to happen in the future.

With all the ongoing shortages, it’s no surprise that water, too, is on the table.

“Part of the solution will be to reprocess the water that results from sewage treatment and turn it back into drinking water – perfectly safe and healthy, but not something many people fancy,” said Sir James Bevan.

https://www.rebelnews.com/british_public_advised_to_be_less_squeamish_about_drinking_recycled_sewage
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Impeccably timed article considering the events of the day.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They have been pumping purified waste water back into the aquifer for years here in OC(always hated when nitwits said the OC). Something the democrats haven't been able to cock up yet!

https://www.ocsan.gov/residents/construction-program/current-construction/gwrs-final-expansion

https://www.epa.gov/wifia/fountain-valley-groundwater-replenishment-system-final-expansion

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Impeccably timed article considering the events of the day.

A 70-year Reigning Monarch dies while the Government tell the peasants to literally drink shit.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

If sewage water is properly treated, it becomes simple H2O again and should be perfectly potable.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
If sewage water is properly treated, it becomes simple H2O again and should be perfectly potable.

You first....    :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline berdie

I actually thought that was what happened here.

Offline Kamaji

You first....    :silly:

I don't have a problem with it if I know that I can trust the treatment plants.  I would not trust Flint, MI, but I would in the locality where I live.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts, during the Dukakis junta, couldn't even clean the sewage before they dumped it into Boston Harbor.

Why would I trust them to clean it before they put it back into the drinking water?

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I don't have a problem with it if I know that I can trust the treatment plants.  I would not trust Flint, MI, but I would in the locality where I live.

I used to inspect these plants with the Dept. Health right out of college.  FYI, their cholorination systems are not fallable. and can be subject to pluggage, dips, and malfunctions.

I prefer my potable water from ground water.  That is the safest

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: British public advised to be 'less squeamish' about drinking recycled sewage
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 05:53:37 am »

I actually thought that was what happened here.
Anyone who lives along the Colorado River and gets their water from it is already drinking the effluent from upstream towns, after it has been treated, of course.

Distill the water from a cesspool, and you have water. Drinkable, pure.
Nature does this through evaporation and rain.
It isn't the source (likely all the water on the planet has been through some critter or another at one time or another), it is the treatment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Re: British public advised to be 'less squeamish' about drinking recycled sewage
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 09:03:33 am »
Anyone who lives along the Colorado River and gets their water from it is already drinking the effluent from upstream towns, after it has been treated, of course.

It isn't the source (likely all the water on the planet has been through some critter or another at one time or another), it is the treatment.

:thumbsup:

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 12:02:11 pm »

True, but like I stated earlier, ground water is the least soiled and safest of the potable water sources.  Realize that re-treated waters more likely  have inerts like herbicides,  pesticides, and other complex multi-chain phenyl organics that that are not easily treated with conventional treament methods.

That is why my preference is ground water, and I actually feel better about my own ground water well, than I do municpalities that take from rivers and resovoirs. 

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 12:04:08 pm »
True, but like I stated earlier, ground water is the least soiled and safest of the potable water sources.  Realize that re-treated waters more likely  have inerts like herbicides,  pesticides, and other complex multi-chain phenyl organics that that are not easily treated with conventional treament methods.

That is why my preference is ground water, and I actually feel better about my own ground water well, than I do municpalities that take from rivers and resovoirs.
Given a choice, I drink distilled water.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2022, 12:07:39 pm »

That's the absolute safe choice, if you don't care about aesthetics.  I love the taste of my 450 foot ground water well, though by law, I have to be plumbed to my municipal potable water supply.

Only problem with my well, is that if really wanted to drink from it consistently, I have to periodically empy and flush the tank of it's rusty taste.  So sadly, it is used mostly for watering the lawn, and my wife's gardens.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2022, 12:25:07 pm »

Distilled water will make you lose electrolytes. Honestly tap water is great in most places.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 12:30:34 pm »
Distilled water will make you lose electrolytes. Honestly tap water is great in most places.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 10:15:12 pm »
Smokin' Joe opined:
"Given a choice, I drink distilled water."

... and only "pure grain" alcohol, as well?
(apologies to Mr. Kubrick)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 10:30:44 pm »
Astronauts drink urine recycled water….
But I think I’d prefer Brawndo
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2022, 09:10:37 am »
We started drinking distilled water years ago, when we found the tap water (sourced from the upper Missouri River) smelled muddy in the spring. Filters did not remove that odor.
Spring runoff (with some flooding upstream) means a likelihood of herbicides or other leachates from the vast amount of farmland in the bottoms, and we took the muddy odor as sufficient cause to avoid the water--especially raising a couple of very young grand children at the time. I also found distilled water makes the very best and most consistent coffee, a major beverage in my home. As for electrolytes, I have used and consumed plenty of salt over the years, and have suffered no ill effects, so I see the distilled water as offsetting my culinary habits to some degree. My electrolytes come out normal when tested.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 09:14:34 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2022, 09:13:43 am »
Smokin' Joe opined:
"Given a choice, I drink distilled water."

... and only "pure grain" alcohol, as well?
(apologies to Mr. Kubrick)
I discovered that ethanol, without strict controls on quantity, (which I found difficult to impose), makes me loquacious, obnoxious, and occasionally combative, and have avoided it for the last 33 years. There was a time when I consumed everything from homemade beer to everclear, at times to the dismay of those around me.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 09:14:59 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis