Author Topic: Pentagon’s Plan to Reduce Civilian Harm May Not Work in Future Conflicts, Experts Say  (Read 134 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon’s Plan to Reduce Civilian Harm May Not Work in Future Conflicts, Experts Say
Aug. 28, 2022 | By Greg Hadley

The Pentagon’s Civilian Harm Mitigation and Response Action Plan released Aug. 25 details nearly a dozen objectives creating institutions and processes to reduce the likelihood of civilian casualties.

But critics say the plan’s objectives may do more harm than good, creating extra layers of bureaucracy for planners and operators to navigate, and that it won’t work in a large-scale conflict.

In a memo accompanying the release of the action plan, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III called its objectives “ambitious but necessary,” and press secretary Brig. Gen. Patrick S. Ryder told reporters that the plan will “enable DOD to move forward on this important initiative.”

https://www.airforcemag.com/pentagons-plan-to-reduce-civilian-harm-may-not-work-in-future-conflicts-experts-say/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Where bullets, bombs, and missiles fly, civilians die.  That's the way it has always been and always will be.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson