Author Topic: ‘What did our service mean?’ Taliban rout still evokes raw emotions for US veterans and Afghan refug  (Read 164 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘What did our service mean?’ Taliban rout still evokes raw emotions for US veterans and Afghan refugees
By J.P. LAWRENCE
STARS AND STRIPES • August 15, 2022

It’s been a year since the Taliban swept into Kabul, and the images of terrified Afghans fleeing their homeland have largely faded from the memories of Americans who viewed the evacuation passively from afar.

But for many of the Americans who tried to help, sometimes without success, and the Afghans who braved the crowds and checkpoints for a chance at freedom, the last two weeks of August 2021 remain indelibly seared into their consciousness.

Stars and Stripes spoke to some of them over the past year, and here are their stories:

The refugees

https://www.stripes.com/veterans/2022-08-15/afghanistan-one-year-later-6968602.html
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:33:34 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson