Author Topic: ‘I Never Had To Look Up’ Before: Top U.S. Special Ops General On Drone Threat  (Read 191 times)

rebewranger

‘I Never Had To Look Up’ Before: Top U.S. Special Ops General On Drone Threat 

The drone threat is rapidly growing and targeting supply chains and crafting new international norms could be just as important as shooting them down.
BY
JOSEPH TREVITHICK
JUL 25, 2022 7:55 PM

The head of U.S. Special Operations Command, U.S. Army Gen. Richard Clarke, recently highlighted the threat that various tiers of unmanned aircraft pose to U.S. forces deployed overseas, as well as to military and other targets abroad and within the United States. He further underscored that these dangers are only likely to grow and diversify as time goes on. Clarke added that finding ways to "defeat" hostile drones before they're ever launched, including finding ways to restrict access to key supply chains and build international consensus about the risks of proliferation and other issues, will be just as important as developing systems to actually knock them out of the sky.

Clarke offered his perspective on the ever-growing drone threat and how to respond to it last Friday at the annual Aspen Security Forum, hosted by the Aspen Institute think tank. The general spoke alongside Sen. Joni Ernst, an Iowa Republican who is currently her party's ranking member on the Senate Armed Services Committee's Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities, and Rep. Jason Crow, a Colorado Democrat who sits on the House Committee on Armed Services and the House Intelligence Committee.

Clarke, Ernst, and Crow talked about challenges and opportunities in relation to other threats, such as chemical and biological weapons, cyber and information warfare, and food insecurity, as well. You can watch the full video of the panel discussion below.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/i-never-had-to-look-up-before-top-u-s-special-ops-general-on-drone-threat
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 02:43:15 pm by rangerrebew »