Author Topic: Biology Professor Insists More Transgender Scientists Will Produce 'Much More Robust Science'  (Read 384 times)

Offline Kamaji

Biology Professor Insists More Transgender Scientists Will Produce 'Much More Robust Science'

By Alex Parker
Jun 19, 2022

In modern America, Pride penetrates all. The nation’s new mission is inclusivity, and every sector must include it.

At least, those statements appear increasingly true.

And at Arizona State University, Professor Katelynn Cooper is doing her part. She was concerned about a lack of LGBT involvement in biology research, so she launched a new lab.

From NBC News:

When Katelyn Cooper, 34, was an undergraduate student studying biochemistry at Arizona State University, she was afraid to come out as gay. She said this was largely because science classrooms and labs have traditionally been seen as objective spaces where “who you are doesn’t matter.”

But she wanted to matter, and that might be accomplished by discovering her instructors’ sexual interests:

“It felt pretty lonely as an undergrad,” Cooper told NBC News. “I remember admiring so many of my instructors in science and looking for any sign that anyone else maybe didn’t identify as straight or cisgender, because I just wanted some example of someone who had made it in science as an LGBTQ+ person.”

Katelyn earned her doctorate in biology and is now an assistant professor in ASU’s school of life sciences. She’s making moves to put the “L,” “G” and “B” in biology; and she’s adding a “T” and “Q”:

[C]ooper is conducting nationally funded research into how to create more inclusive learning environments for biology students at the college level. The Cooper Biology Education Research Lab, which she founded in 2019, focuses on understanding how students’ identities and mental health affect their experiences in biology education.

Science has been straight and white for too long; also expired: acceptable male dominance…

The goal isn’t just to make classrooms more inclusive, she explained, but to bring more diversity to a field that has traditionally been dominated by straight white men.

According to Katelyn, objective science would be made better by subjective variety:

“If people can bring different perspectives to the table, then we’re doing a better job of counteracting biases, and that results in much more robust science. That’s really what led me to want to sustain this line of research looking at how to create more inclusive environments for LGBTQ+ people.”

Source:  https://redstate.com/alexparker/2022/06/19/biology-professor-insists-more-transgender-scientists-will-produce-much-more-robust-science-n581139

Offline Kamaji

:silly:

Yeah, right.  Because people who are so fixated on the issue of who they f**k, and how they f**k them really have the skills, temperament, or available time to focus on something as drably mundane as real actual scientific research.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
:silly:

Yeah, right.  Because people who are so fixated on the issue of who they f**k, and how they f**k them really have the skills, temperament, or available time to focus on something as drably mundane as real actual scientific research.
:bingo:

When you are cherry picking data with the idea of 'proving' something to be true you are not doing science.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
A biology professor thinks those who refute biology will advance science......by denying science?

rebewranger

"The goal isn’t just to make classrooms more inclusive, she explained, but to bring more diversity to a field that has traditionally been dominated by straight white men."

Inclusion means physical characteristics, not intellectual.  Men are capable of disagreeing, physically at times, as long as disagreements are, say, pure science and still work together on something else.  I'm not certain disagreements  involving LGBTQ adherents can ever be done without that hanging over every debate with liberal cancel cultures lurking in the background ready to be thrown when they can't keep up with the conversation intellecually.

Offline Kamaji

A biology professor thinks those who refute biology will advance science......by denying science?

Yup.