Author Topic: The worst shortage you haven't heard of  (Read 263 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The worst shortage you haven't heard of
« on: June 04, 2022, 01:49:57 pm »
June 4, 2022
The worst shortage you haven't heard of
By John Klar

Should China occupy Taiwan, it would control a majority of the world's microchip manufacturing production.  But China needn't invade Taiwan to bring America to its knees — simply reducing urea and other existing Chinese exports is already wreaking havoc.  Agricultural fertilizer prices have nearly doubled in the past year, and shrinking supplies of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) now threaten America's transportation system.  The impact of urea supply shortages on food inflation will be compounded by distribution failures if additional DEF resources are not procured immediately.

DEF is an emissions control liquid required by the EPA in diesel engines manufactured after 2010 as an "aftertreatment technology" to reduce vehicle emissions.  This additive is required for most modern diesel truck fleets.  Without it, many trucks cannot exceed five miles per hour in speed, or even be started.  Truckers are now reporting increasing DEF shortages around the nation.

EPA mandates for DEF in diesel engines were not matched by increases in DEF production, and China cut back DEF manufacturing last year, leading to the current threat:

Commercial motor vehicles that move commodities across the US utilize approximately 37.6 million tons of DEF and we are experiencing a global shortage. ... China's increased demand for urea in farming caused it to cut production of DEF fluid. ... [For] about every 200 gallons of diesel used you will use about 1 gallon of DEF. The mandate for DEF began in 2010, so the average age of vehicles on the road utilizing the commodity is growing. The older vehicles are less efficient at burning fuel and therefore require more DEF. More and more vehicles that are lawfully required to use DEF continue to hit the market with no more manufacturing taking place in the DEF supply chain. ... In conclusion, as demand and price continue to increase with no real solution to manufacture more DEF long-term, the disruption to an already reeling supply chain situation could be exacerbated by a DEF shortage. All diesel-powered trucks since 2010 require DEF to run. If the trucks DEF tank runs empty, the truck will shut down and not run, meaning millions of commercial transportation trucks could be sidelined at the height of the trucking industry need.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/06/the_worst_shortage_you_havent_heard_of.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: The worst shortage you haven't heard of
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 02:10:50 pm »
Not related, but found it odd yesterday at my local Walmart, that there was not one jar of peanut butter on the shelves.

JUst anther example that prepping is becoming more evident and widespread by the day.  Biden's destruction on us is like watching a wreck in slow motion.  Everyone knows its happening, but not a damned thing you can do about it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 10:10:41 pm »
Catfish complains:
"Biden's destruction on us is like watching a wreck in slow motion.  Everyone knows its happening, but not a damned thing you can do about it."

Gonna ask again:
Is it time for that New Continental Congress yet...?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 10:28:43 pm »
Friedman:  "If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years there’d be a shortage of sand."

Cyber Liberty:  "We put the government in charge of piss and now we have a shortage of Urea."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 10:45:39 pm »
Not related, but found it odd yesterday at my local Walmart, that there was not one jar of peanut butter on the shelves.

JUst anther example that prepping is becoming more evident and widespread by the day.  Biden's destruction on us is like watching a wreck in slow motion.  Everyone knows its happening, but not a damned thing you can do about it.

There was a big peanut butter recall recently.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 12:03:37 pm »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 12:43:44 pm »
There was a big peanut butter recall recently.

Enough of a recall to wipe out every size and every brand?  Ouch.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DB

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 02:32:43 pm »
Enough of a recall to wipe out every size and every brand?  Ouch.

When one of the big ones disappears it quickly develops into a shortage across the board. Just like baby formula...