Author Topic: Do Electronic Signs Displaying Number of Traffic Fatalities Actually Cause More Crashes?  (Read 177 times)

Offline Kamaji

Do Electronic Signs Displaying Number of Traffic Fatalities Actually Cause More Crashes?

"The effect of displaying fatality messages is comparable to raising the speed limit by 3 to 5 miles per hour or reducing the number of highway troopers by 6 to 14%."

EUGENE VOLOKH

From Jonathan Hall & Joshua Madsen, Can behavioral interventions be too salient? Evidence from traffic safety messages, in the journal Science:

Policy-makers are increasingly turning to behavioral interventions such as nudges and informational campaigns …. Guidebooks say that these interventions should "seize people's attention" at a time when they can take the desired action, but little consideration has been given to the costs of seizing one's attention and to the possibility that these interventions may crowd out other, more important, considerations.

We estimated these costs in the context of a … behavioral campaign with the stated objective of reducing traffic crashes. This campaign displays the year-to-date number of statewide roadside fatalities (fatality messages) on previously installed highway dynamic message signs (DMSs) and has been implemented in 28 US states….

Contrary to policy-makers' expectations, we found that displaying fatality messages increases the number of traffic crashes.

Source:  https://reason.com/volokh/2022/04/23/do-electronic-signs-displaying-number-of-traffic-fatalities-actually-cause-more-crashes/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Every time they light up those damn signs for messages other than traffic info it slows down traffic and turns marginal drivers dangerous as they try to read it. Do they really think putting buckle up clickit or ticket is going to change the minds of those who don't, or don't drink and drive? as if drunks pay attention. One of my favorites was on my only trip to Utah where every sign I saw stated 'OBEY THE SPEED LAWS', yeah right it was the signs not the many speed cameras that made me comply.

Offline Kamaji

Every time they light up those damn signs for messages other than traffic info it slows down traffic and turns marginal drivers dangerous as they try to read it. Do they really think putting buckle up clickit or ticket is going to change the minds of those who don't, or don't drink and drive? as if drunks pay attention. One of my favorites was on my only trip to Utah where every sign I saw stated 'OBEY THE SPEED LAWS', yeah right it was the signs not the many speed cameras that made me comply.

That's the gist of the article.  Basically, unless a sign directly relates to ongoing traffic issues in the immediate vicinity - like the "Traffic Congestion Ahead" signs the NJ Turnpike puts up - the marginal increase in danger due to intentionally distracting drivers outweighs the marginal benefit of any long-term potential benefits from such signs.

It should have been obvious - IMHO - that these signs would not be beneficial.  I know from sorry personal experience that, in bad conditions, even a moment's worth of distraction can result in an accident.  In my case, it happened while I was in college.  I was driving back home with my g.f. at the time - driving her car, which her father had just purchased for her - and it was snowing, and beginning to get wet and heavy.  I glanced down at the instrument panel to see what my speed was, for just a few seconds, and when I looked back up - a sea of red tail lights and stopped/stopping cars in front of me.  The only option was to head for the shoulder; which fortunately was open but which, unfortunately, was a soft dirt should that dipped down into a gully that had shrubs at the bottom.  We avoided a rear-end collision, but at the cost of shredding the left-hand side of the car.

Somehow, when we got to her house, her father didn't chew me several new ones.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Somehow, when we got to her house, her father didn't chew me several new ones.

He was thankful you made the decision you did, because his baby was unharmed? 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

He was thankful you made the decision you did, because his baby was unharmed? 

Hopefully.  It was a split-second decision.  On the other hand, he could also have claimed I was driving too fast in the first place.  I wasn't, but try proving that after the fact.  I had been going with traffic, but was in the left lane, so faster than some of the traffic.  At any rate, I was just glad I survived what could have been a very, very bad meet-the-parents meeting.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think the tally of fatalities is not the issue here, as the article implies.  It's the fact that there are non-traffic related messages being posted and needlessly diverting attention from the road.  It's really not complicated.

The "Get Masked/Vaxxed!" are the ones that piss me off the most.  I took time to look at that?  Yes, because I wanted to know if the freeway to Needles is open or how long it will take to get there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Kamaji

I think the tally of fatalities is not the issue here, as the article implies.  It's the fact that there are non-traffic related messages being posted and needlessly diverting attention from the road.  It's really not complicated.

The "Get Masked/Vaxxed!" are the ones that piss me off the most.  I took time to look at that?  Yes, because I wanted to know if the freeway to Needles is open or how long it will take to get there.

True, but I think they focused on one type of display, and one that was traffic-related, but not to immediate close-by situations, to limit the number of potential confounding factors.