Author Topic: Electric Vehicle Mandates Threaten U.S. Grid  (Read 405 times)

Offline Kamaji

Electric Vehicle Mandates Threaten U.S. Grid
« on: April 22, 2022, 05:10:56 pm »
Electric Vehicle Mandates Threaten U.S. Grid

Carbon dioxide emissions reduced by moving away from one fossil fuel will be replaced by those from burning another.

MICHAEL FUMENTO
APRIL 22, 2022

Don’t want to drive an electric vehicle? Well, depending on where you live, you may not have a choice soon. Converting the nation’s fleet of automobiles and trucks to electric power is considered a critical aspect of the battle against alleged manmade global climate change.

The Biden administration wants to see “emission-free” vehicles account for half of all vehicle sales by 2030, while New York state law bans new fossil fuel vehicle sales by 2035 as does a California executive order. If two of the nation’s most populous states forbid internal combustion engine sales, that could drag the rest of the country with it. This is all a crucial aspect of the Biden goal of U.S. carbon neutrality by 2050.

But riddle me this. Will the current electrical grid support this transition from petroleum fuel to that generated by power plants, and if not, what type of plants will be built to support the enlarged grid? To what extent will the fossil fuel petroleum refined into gasoline and diesel give way to plants that burn natural gas or even—shudder—coal? Or can we supply the extra energy with solar and wind as environmentalists seem to fervently believe? Conversely, can we do it with nuclear power?

These headlines, all from the last half of last year, show it’s not particularly clear cut. The Washington Post says, “Plug-in Cars Are the Future. The Grid Isn’t Ready.” But Forbes suggests “Electricity Grids Can Handle Electric Vehicles Easily.” Meanwhile, the Gray Lady puts it in question form: “Electric Cars are Coming, and Fast. Is the Nation’s Grid Up to It?”

Clouding the crystal ball is that we don’t know how successful the mandates and subsidies will be, nor how electric vehicle battery technology will progress. We can just consider the basic parameters.

While there has been almost no U.S. increase in electricity demand in recent years, a U.S. Department of Energy study found that increased electrification across all sectors of the economy could boost national consumption by 20 percent, to 38 percent by 2050, mostly from an increased use of electric vehicles. Hence, the grid will need dramatic expansion. More generation plants and more transmission lines.

How? U.S. nuclear reactors are being taken offline. Nuclear power opponents have safety-featured them to death. Required upgrades aren’t worth it compared to building new natural gas powered plants. Likewise, the plants currently being built face nightmarish cost and completion overruns. The only two U.S. nuclear reactors under construction are six years late and at least $16 billion over budget. It’s the end of the line for so-called “Generation 3+” plants in the country. The U.S. Energy Information Administration projects electricity provided by nuclear plants will drop from about 19 percent now to only 12 percent by 2050. And no, that study is not taking into account an increased exchange of gasoline and diesel for voltage.

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/electric-vehicle-mandates-threaten-u-s-grid/

Online berdie

Re: Electric Vehicle Mandates Threaten U.S. Grid
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 08:00:57 pm »
Well, that's just crazy talk. Everybody knows you just plug into a wall outlet with no problem. BTW...what is a grid? /s

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 08:16:32 pm »
Well, that's just crazy talk. Everybody knows you just plug into a wall outlet with no problem. BTW...what is a grid? /s

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 11:13:58 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 01:28:28 am »
The real question is one of what environmental cost will be incurred by the mining, manufacturing, and construction needed to expand the grid. Add that to the mining, manufacturing, and construction of the cars, and my bet is that on a per unit basis all this greening is just another squishy and aromatic pile of brown.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 06:59:41 am »
all this greening is just another squishy and aromatic pile of brown.

Ooh, GREAT! Methane. We can use that.  :silly:
 888high58888

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 10:04:18 am »
Ooh, GREAT! Methane. We can use that.  :silly:
 888high58888
Back to 'biomass'...like the settlers coming across the plains. No shortage of that, nowadays.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 07:11:45 pm »
Back to 'biomass'...like the settlers coming across the plains. No shortage of that, nowadays.

If only there was a way to harness the flatulent gas emanating from DC. Talk about your endless supply...

Offline LMAO

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 09:27:04 pm »
The real question is one of what environmental cost will be incurred by the mining, manufacturing, and construction needed to expand the grid. Add that to the mining, manufacturing, and construction of the cars, and my bet is that on a per unit basis all this greening is just another squishy and aromatic pile of brown.

See, that’s your problem. You have good questions that require good answers.

What you have to do is you have to behave like your average leftist. Shout one line slogans, silence anybody who would dare question the narrative, throw bottles of body fluids, and just believe that this will all  work
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 09:31:21 pm »

I seem to recall there being a lot less trees back in those days than we have now.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2022, 11:50:49 pm »
I seem to recall there being a lot less trees back in those days than we have now.
Dried (animal) dung was used as fuel on the plains. Critters have a high fiber diet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 11:52:10 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2022, 11:58:31 pm »
Well,given that some areas of the country have brown-outs every year due to things like hot weather and everybody running air-conditioners,how can it NOT help the situation to put everybody in electric cars?

Just think of all the exercise these people will get from walking to the nearest charging station and begging someone there to send out a charging crew to save them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2022, 01:46:04 am »
Dried (animal) dung was used as fuel on the plains.

When there are no trees for wood, sometimes ya gotta settle.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-