Author Topic: Nor’easter to paste Appalachians and interior New England with snow  (Read 418 times)

rebewranger

Nor’easter to paste Appalachians and interior New England with snow
Jacob Feuerstein - 2h ago

Even as recent warmth may have residents of the Northeast looking ahead toward summer, a late-season winter storm is threatening to bring snow to portions of the region on Monday and Tuesday.

In an acute case of weather whiplash, at least 4 to 8 inches of snow could fall in hilly and mountainous areas of the interior Northeast amid temperatures up to 25 degrees below normal. Even the high elevations of the Mid-Atlantic (above 2,000-3,000 feet) could see snow accumulation.

“This late season system will have high water content (moisture) and will be quite heavy,” the National Weather Service wrote Sunday. “This could result in downed trees, power outages, and difficult shoveling. Hazardous travel conditions may develop due to slushy, snow-covered roads.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/nor-easter-to-paste-appalachians-and-interior-new-england-with-snow/ar-AAWjajh?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e9108f62c790420c9d09968ea8423597

Offline roamer_1

Re: Nor’easter to paste Appalachians and interior New England with snow
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 05:40:18 pm »
Hope y'all ain't planted yet... Though I would suppose Appalachia may know better. Hard saying from here. I watch folks in the Carolinas on Youtube that are planting right now.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 05:40:56 pm »
It's pretty typical in down-state NY to get one last hurrah of snow in April.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 05:49:05 pm »
It's pretty typical in down-state NY to get one last hurrah of snow in April.

Our last hurrah could be April... but is probably May... Might be June... And ain't seriously weird till mid-July.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 05:55:04 pm »
Our last hurrah could be April... but is probably May... Might be June... And ain't seriously weird till mid-July.

That's a long winter @roamer_1   Sunny and very dry here.  Hoping for some rain soon.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 06:01:10 pm »
We may get some of this snow. We know not to plant till Mothers' Day.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 06:06:12 pm »
That's a long winter @roamer_1   Sunny and very dry here.  Hoping for some rain soon.

Snowed here last night @libertybele ... but just a skiff... It will be gone by mid afternoon. I don't think we have seen 60 yet, but we have had some 50s... Most of the snow load is gone in the valley mainly just shady places and plow piles left.

It ain't as bad as it sounds... We get plenty of nice days. But while it can be 50s around now, it can also be in the 20s and teens... And it can change overnight. we were in the 20s and 30s last week, but this week is leaning hard into the 30s, and we will see 40s again toward the middle of next week.next weekend could easy be back in the 50s.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 06:12:19 pm »

Mother's day is when we start taking bets.  :laugh:

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 06:59:53 pm »
45 degrees here in southern NH right now. Damn, it's been a cold spring.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 07:01:08 pm »
45 degrees here in southern NH right now. Damn, it's been a cold spring.
Same in the upper Ohio Valley. Cool and wet.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 07:16:33 pm »
But pretty typical at this latitude. We have over two feet of snow in the western part of ND, and more on the way. Blizzard conditions kept roads closed for three of the last 5 days. Spring/Summer starts the second week of June around here (usual last frost), and I'd bet @roamer_1 has a few thousand feet of altitude on us (we're only about 2300 ft. here)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 08:00:54 pm »
Same in the upper Ohio Valley. Cool and wet.

We could use some of that wet.  We're getting back to the 90's this week, maybe today....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 08:03:03 pm »
But pretty typical at this latitude. We have over two feet of snow in the western part of ND, and more on the way. Blizzard conditions kept roads closed for three of the last 5 days. Spring/Summer starts the second week of June around here (usual last frost), and I'd bet @roamer_1 has a few thousand feet of altitude on us (we're only about 2300 ft. here)

Not so much @Smokin Joe ... The valley floor is at around 3300... though it does go up from there.  :laugh:

But y'all normally have it worse than we do. These mountains bust up the wind, or send it high, which tends to more roiling and stacking... Which in theory ought to give us more snow (if the flow is always west to east, which it is not), but the valleys hold heat under clouds and the wind is up off us... So we tend to be more temperate (note air quotes  :laugh:)

Even so, it's a bet. I think our frost-free day is something like June 5, but you will see low-tunnels starting to go up in the second and third week of May. And it's a fair bet with cold tolerating plants... But maters and peppers ain't going outside till at least June and most things will not be planted till then... Maybe the last week in May.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 08:04:13 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 09:27:59 pm »
Lightning Bug (Flyfly) sighting last night here.... I consider that the first of Spring.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 09:33:05 pm »
Lightning Bug (Flyfly) sighting last night here.... I consider that the first of Spring.

One of the few things I really miss from the prairie. Lightning bugs make magic in the evening. Ain't seen a one in a decade or two.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2022, 09:49:11 pm »
National radar:
https://s.w-x.co/staticmaps/wu/wxtype/none/usa/animate.png

Here in SW Connecticut, rain Monday night into Tuesday, temps around 41F...

Online berdie

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2022, 10:23:26 pm »

Mother's Day...wow!! I forget how different the climates are. :laugh:

I plant onions, potatoes and garlic on Valentines Day. However, I will say this. Usually I have the rest of my "cool weather" garden in by now. But the weather has been so crazy, it won't go in until next week. It will be interesting to see what happens. My strawberries and asparagus don't seen to be too interested this year. I don't typically plant a "hot weather" garden any more. The cost to water and the "berdie power" to maintain aren't worth it.
I can buy one cantaloupe, cucumber. or watermelon much cheaper. I may plant a couple of okra plants. Okra is insanely expensive.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2022, 02:58:42 pm »
One of the few things I really miss from the prairie. Lightning bugs make magic in the evening. Ain't seen a one in a decade or two.
I haven't seen any here, but If I did, they'd likely be blowing by so fast they'd look like meteors going sideways.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2022, 03:00:10 pm »
We got two feet out of the last couple of storms. Before that melts off, we're set to get more.

The garden is a month away, at least, possibly two.

C S Lewis