Author Topic: The Navy is training for a possible fight with China; does Russia’s war make that more likely?  (Read 339 times)

rebewranger

The Navy is training for a possible fight with China; does Russia’s war make that more likely?
BY ANDREW DYER• THE SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE • MARCH 6, 2022

The guided-missile destroyer USS Ralph Johnson, shown here in December 2020, made a trip through the Taiwan Strait on Feb. 26, 2022.

SAN DIEGO (Tribune News Service) — For much of the past year, U.S. Navy and Marine Corps in the Pacific have trained for a conflict with the Pentagon’s most powerful potential adversary, China.

Now the invasion of Ukraine by Russia — another “near peer” nation and newly aligned partner of China — has raised the stakes of such exercises and stoked fears among some that a Pacific confrontation might be closer than expected if China makes a similar move against Taiwan.

But national security experts cautioned against drawing too broad an association based on Cold War comparisons and the “unlimited” partnership that China and Russia announced upon the start of the Beijing Winter Olympics. In that agreement, the two nations signaled support for each other’s stated policy goals toward their neighbors, with China stating its opposition to NATO expansion into Ukraine and Russia saying it opposes Taiwanese independence.

https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2022-03-06/navy-training-for-possible-fight-with-china-does-russia-war-make-that-more-likely-5247470.html

Offline Kamaji

I should have bloody well thought they'd have been doing that for the past 30 or 40 years.

rebewranger

Where do they find the time when they have other much more important issues to consider?  Like gender issues, personal pronoun studies, CRTs, and eating etiquette? :whistle:

Offline EdinVA

“This is not a new Cold War,” she said, citing the globalized economy and other global problems — such as climate change — that China wants to play a part in solving. “China wants to have a seat at the table.”
:thud:

rebewranger

They want to be involved in climate change?  Someone is lying! :nono:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
They want to be involved in climate change?  Someone is lying! :nono:
Well they are building a bunch of coal fired generating plants and putting up polluting factories as fast as they can, does that count?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Uhhhh,I hate to be the one to break this news to you,but the US Navy has been training to fight Russia since 1945-46.

It ain't like this has been a secret.

Did San Diego not get this news right after WW-2 ended and all the Navy ships showed up to home port there?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

rebewranger

Uhhhh,I hate to be the one to break this news to you,but the US Navy has been training to fight Russia since 1945-46.

And - now we have new, powerful battle tools like CRT, gay rights education, personal pronoun education, and wokeness.  I wonder when they will start teaching how to safely surrender to anyone? :truce: