Author Topic: VIDEO: Sous Vide Virgin Cooks Corned Beef  (Read 1067 times)

Offline pjcomix

• DUmmie FUnnies YouTube Channel
VIDEO: Sous Vide Virgin Cooks Corned Beef
« on: March 05, 2022, 05:21:31 pm »
I've been hearing about it but I finally got a sous vide. Inexpensive since I don't need all the bells and whistles such as pairing with my phone so I can operate it remotely which I don't understand since I have to be there to place the vacuum sealed meat in the container.

Here is my first attempt at using the sous vide in which I cook corned beef. I had a few minor rough patches which almost inevitably happens when you use a new piece of equipment. After a couple of tries I got the timer set right and I learned NOT to low tech vacuum seal the zip lock bag while bending over the container on the floor since it could cause back pain. In the future I will be performing that task standing upright at the sink. Also I will clip the top of the bag to the side of the container and weight the bag down with small weights such as coins so as to keep the bag under water instead of crudely weighting it down with a wrench and a screwdriver as I did in this video.

Oh, and despite repeatedly saying "lettuce" I used cabbage along with carrots and red potatoes to go with the corned beef.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zon0Xb5kr0c
DUmmie FUnnies YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/dummiefunnies

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: VIDEO: Sous Vide Virgin Cooks Corned Beef
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 06:34:26 pm »
I've been waiting for this!

@berdie
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 06:55:01 pm »
I toldja you'd love it!  Wait'll you do some steaks....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline pjcomix

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 08:31:47 pm »
I toldja you'd love it!  Wait'll you do some steaks....

I think next time I will cook the corned beef for only 24 hours and then sear it on a pan coated with avocado oil. Tender is good but I like it a bit more solid.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 08:34:17 pm »
I think next time I will cook the corned beef for only 24 hours and then sear it on a pan coated with avocado oil. Tender is good but I like it a bit more solid.

I do Chucks for 48 hours....
I will NOT comply.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 08:59:27 pm »

...hmm.... @pjcomix do you prefer avocado oil over olive oil??  I've never used avocado oil, but it's supposed to be healthy as well.  I love avocados, but I'm really used to slathering a lot of things in olive oil.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline pjcomix

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 03:59:10 pm »
...hmm.... @pjcomix do you prefer avocado oil over olive oil??  I've never used avocado oil, but it's supposed to be healthy as well.  I love avocados, but I'm really used to slathering a lot of things in olive oil.

For higher heat such as searing meat on a pan, avocado oil is better. I also use it when making air fried French fried potatoes.

Offline berdie

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 06:53:11 pm »
I've been waiting for this!

@berdie

Thanks for the ping @Cyber Liberty . I actually went ahead and bought the unit, container and a rack to hold the bags in place. Yesterday was my first day to use it. I thought I'd use a cheaper cut of meat for my novice attempt so I did pork chops. Very easy and the meat was really moist and tender. I'll probably try a chicken breast before I try steak to be sure I know how to use it. Those steaks are made of gold! Thanks again.

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 06:55:42 pm »
Good informative video @pjcomix . I am  not even a big corned beef fan but your gusto made me think about giving it a try. Thanks!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 07:50:28 pm »

Thanks for the ping @Cyber Liberty . I actually went ahead and bought the unit, container and a rack to hold the bags in place. Yesterday was my first day to use it. I thought I'd use a cheaper cut of meat for my novice attempt so I did pork chops. Very easy and the meat was really moist and tender. I'll probably try a chicken breast before I try steak to be sure I know how to use it. Those steaks are made of gold! Thanks again.

@berdie

Here's a great resource for Sous Vide cookery: 

https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html
I will NOT comply.

Offline pjcomix

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 07:50:47 pm »
Good informative video @pjcomix . I am  not even a big corned beef fan but your gusto made me think about giving it a try. Thanks!

I am doing another corned beef right now in the sous vide but this time I have it set for 156 degrees for 29 hours. The reason is that I like it a bit more solid especially if I like sandwiches. Any additional heat I might need will come from searing it on cast iron pan when it comes out of the sous vide. I'll let you all know how it goes after I try it tomorrow. However, 140 degrees for 48 hrs is fine if you like super tender. The flavor was great.

Offline berdie

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 07:55:46 pm »
@berdie

Here's a great resource for Sous Vide cookery: 

https://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Thanks for the link!!

Offline berdie

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 07:59:53 pm »
I am doing another corned beef right now in the sous vide but this time I have it set for 156 degrees for 29 hours. The reason is that I like it a bit more solid especially if I like sandwiches. Any additional heat I might need will come from searing it on cast iron pan when it comes out of the sous vide. I'll let you all know how it goes after I try it tomorrow. However, 140 degrees for 48 hrs is fine if you like super tender. The flavor was great.

I would definitely enjoy an update! I'm a noob to sous vide and have only cooked pork chops so far. It's an adventure, lol.

Offline pjcomix

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2022, 08:02:59 pm »
The main thing is that the internal temp is 145 degrees so I will measure that. If not, then a bit longer on the cast iron pan than just a quick sear. However, a video said that at 156 degrees it should be ready in one day so I gave it 5 extra hours to take it to 29 total hours.