Author Topic: It’s Time To Ask: Did Any Of The COVID Mandates, Closures, Lockdowns Do Anything?  (Read 287 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 It’s Time To Ask: Did Any Of The COVID
Mandates, Closures, Lockdowns Do Anything?
Issues & Insights, by The Editorial Board Original Article
Posted by RockyTCB — 2/11/2022 5:22:55 AM

With COVID deaths now topping 910,000, the Biden administration and the rest of the Democratic left are deciding to ease up on their mandate regime. We need to learn to live with COVID, they say – repeating advice President Donald Trump issued back in October 2020.

We’re all for ditching the left’s COVID police state, even if Democrats’ reason is political, as we pointed out in this space yesterday.

But that leaves us with a question: Was any of it worth it? Did any of the guidelines, mandates, orders, shutdowns, cancelations, lockdowns do anything to alter the course of the disease, or change in any way the number of people who died from it?

Was it worth the massive disruption to our jobs and lives, the education losses suffered by our children, the trillions in debt piled up? Was it worth shutting down dissent by Tech Giants? Or the unleashing of mask scolds? Or vaccine passports? Or the divisiveness all of it fueled?

more
https://issuesinsights.com/2022/02/11/its-time-to-ask-were-any-of-the-covid-mandates-closures-lockdowns-worth-it/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
In the very very beginning, when this thing was at its most virulent, and spreading rapidly, we needed some level of caution and response to figure out how to deal with it.  I have epidemiological experience, and the early response was pretty much by the book.

So, was probably prudent for the first  number of months, but instead we got a government who ended up weapoizing the panic into a way to impose their tyrannical will.

So in IMO, Yes and No.......
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 03:57:14 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Why, yes, yes they did.

They wrecked the economy, traumatized children and interrupted their educational progress, put untold numbers of small businesses down for the count, caused pain on a Biblical scale, and enabled one of the most ridiculous transfers of wealth in history.

Did they stop the virus? Obviously not. The same people who pushed for these measures made sure the best ways to stop the virus were vilified and made as unavailable as possible.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Why, yes, yes they did.

They wrecked the economy, traumatized children and interrupted their educational progress, put untold numbers of small businesses down for the count, caused pain on a Biblical scale, and enabled one of the most ridiculous transfers of wealth in history.

Did they stop the virus? Obviously not. The same people who pushed for these measures made sure the best ways to stop the virus were vilified and made as unavailable as possible.

This thing wasn't stopped because of dipshits like Fauxci politicized the scientific discussions for his own monetary and ego benefit.  If this had been done right, we would have done proper risk assessments, and adjusted public policy to the best outcomes.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Why, yes, yes they did.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

The West's response - even that initial shutdown - was just a pavlovian, knee-jerk following of China's response.  It wasn't valid then, and time has not made it valid.

It was pretty clear, even back then, that this was on a par with the flu - which makes sense since 30% or so of all flus are coronavirus-based historically - and the restrictions should have immediately focused on those most likely to be at risk from respiratory diseases - something that is well-known - and should not have involved mass lockdowns.  Those were not justified then, and they are not justified now.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why, yes, yes they did.

As well as murder many thousands forced to live in nursing homes as demanded by Whitmer and Cuomo.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
As well as murder many thousands forced to live in nursing homes as demanded by Whitmer and Cuomo.

And many thousands more who were denied therapeutics for treatment of their illnesses.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The West's response - even that initial shutdown - was just a pavlovian, knee-jerk following of China's response.  It wasn't valid then, and time has not made it valid.

It was pretty clear, even back then, that this was on a par with the flu - which makes sense since 30% or so of all flus are coronavirus-based historically - and the restrictions should have immediately focused on those most likely to be at risk from respiratory diseases - something that is well-known - and should not have involved mass lockdowns.  Those were not justified then, and they are not justified now.
I don't really think it was as much the Chinese response as it was the Italian response. We all saw January and February 2020 and realized that what was going on in Wuhan was draconian. But when the videos started pouring out of Italy of the sobbing Italians begging the world to lock down—conveniently the same day the WHO declared it a pandemic—that's when everything went to Hades.

And before the yeah-but crowd fact-checks your statement of "30% of all flus are coronavirus-based historically," there is more truth to that than you may realize. We couldn't differentiate between viruses during most pandemics the way we do now. We now know that most coronaviruses of today originated in a pandemic that began in 1889. They thought at the time that it was "Asiatic flu," but unlike the victims of the Spanish flu, where the virus was traced to H1N1, they've never been able to isolate which strain of the flu it was. Plus, though we didn't isolate the coronavirus until 1965, most genetic testing has traced human coronaviruses' common ancestor to... 1889.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dfwgator

Got rid of Trump.

Offline Kamaji

I don't really think it was as much the Chinese response as it was the Italian response. We all saw January and February 2020 and realized that what was going on in Wuhan was draconian. But when the videos started pouring out of Italy of the sobbing Italians begging the world to lock down—conveniently the same day the WHO declared it a pandemic—that's when everything went to Hades.

And before the yeah-but crowd fact-checks your statement of "30% of all flus are coronavirus-based historically," there is more truth to that than you may realize. We couldn't differentiate between viruses during most pandemics the way we do now. We now know that most coronaviruses of today originated in a pandemic that began in 1889. They thought at the time that it was "Asiatic flu," but unlike the victims of the Spanish flu, where the virus was traced to H1N1, they've never been able to isolate which strain of the flu it was. Plus, though we didn't isolate the coronavirus until 1965, most genetic testing has traced human coronaviruses' common ancestor to... 1889.

Coronaviruses are large, enveloped, positive-strand RNA viruses that can be divided into 4 genera: alpha, beta, delta, and gamma, of which alpha and beta CoVs are known to infect humans.1 Four HCoVs (HCoV 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1) are endemic globally and account for 10% to 30% of upper respiratory tract infections in adults.

Source:  https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2759815

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Got rid of Trump.

Which was the primary purpose.  Everything else is gravy IMHO.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Other than dumpster fire our economy and cause who knows how many unecessary deaths, not much.
The Republic is lost.

Online DB

Got rid of Trump.

And the Chinese wanted that very badly. What are few million dead to achieve their goals in their minds...

It is disgusting that the Olympics are being held there now. They paid no price for their treachery.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The closures and lockdown by the truckers sure as hell do something.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington