Author Topic: How Special Ops medics hone their skills in the streets of Missouri  (Read 157 times)

rangerrebew

How Special Ops medics hone their skills in the streets of Missouri

Frumentarius | January 31, 2022

In the fall of 2018, U.S. Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) trainees began to pop up in Springfield, Missouri, riding as medics on civilian ambulances operated by CoxHealth, one of two civilian medical systems based here in Southwest Missouri’s biggest city. This author remembers hearing about the genesis of the program as it was being launched, but then duly forgetting about it until I noticed a SOCM medic on one of our emergency medical calls for the first time. My fire truck was also responding that night, with our three assigned firefighter/EMTs. Immediately when I saw the medic jump from the ambulance, with his distinctive t-shirt depicting the warfare emblems of the various U.S. Special Operations commands served by the SOCM program, combat boots, and tactical-style pants, I knew the program was up and running.

The special operations medic t-shirtThe shirt proudly worn by special operations medics (Screen capture from YouTube)

The SOCM is often described as the best-trained “austere” medical provider in the world. These are the combat medics who train at the Joint Special Operations Medical Training Center (JSOMTC) at Fort Bragg, NC, and who go on to serve as medics in the U.S. Army Special Forces and Rangers, Navy SEALs, and Marine Special Amphibious Reconnaissance or Force Recon units, among others. The SOCM completes a 36-week training program at Fort Bragg, and part of the curriculum includes approximately 25 days riding along on municipal ambulances in various parts of the country, where the aspiring medics can hone their clinical skills on the streets of America.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/special-operations-medics-hone-skills-on-streets-of-missouri/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 12:09:47 pm by rangerrebew »