Author Topic: Why The Omicron Variant Is Good News  (Read 190 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why The Omicron Variant Is Good News
« on: January 03, 2022, 03:57:41 pm »
Why The Omicron Variant Is Good News
By: Nathanael Blake
January 03, 2022

The new omicron Covid-19 variant is good news. Probably.

Pushed by media panic, some governments are cracking down, again, as the omicron strain spreads. But while omicron seems to be very contagious, it also appears to be significantly less dangerous than either the original recipe coronavirus or the delta variant.

How much of this change is due to increased population resistance from vaccines and prior infections, and how much is due to differences between viral strains, is still being studied, but there are reasons to believe omicron is intrinsically less likely to cause serious illness or death. This is not, of course, to say that omicron is harmless, only that it is, on average, less harmful.

Of course, all the usual caveats about early days and early data apply to our understanding of the variant. Back in March 2020, I laid out some reasons we could not count on a milder COVID-19 variant to bail us out of the pandemic, and for nearly two (very long) years this counsel held true.

But now the right mutation may have happened at the right moment. Still, it is reasonable for scientists, doctors, and officials to want better data before making optimistic pronouncements.

It is also reasonable for them to fear that omicron, even if it is less severe, could still contribute to a difficult winter surge of coronavirus cases. In terms of health-care capacity, the gains from a less-dangerous variant could be offset by more cases overall. And there are worries about how much protection vaccines and previous infections provide against this new variant.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2022/01/03/why-the-omicron-variant-is-good-news/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Why The Omicron Variant Is Good News
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 04:00:01 pm »
I have had sneezing ,sniffling, and a running nose this weekend.  Who knows..... maybe I had Omicron.  Sure as hell not going to bother to test for it, with that severity,
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 08:35:02 pm »
There is a New Variant in China?  The XianVariant?

https://gettr.com/post/plrxqdd9d6

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 08:48:45 pm »
Omicron is an opportunity for people to acquire natural immunity with a lower risk of death or hospitalization, if the South African data are correct.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 05:50:58 pm »
When Omicron popped up crazy fast in South Africa and then took a downturn just as suddenly, and cases decoupled from hospitalization and death, my first thought was that South Africa had just given the world what it needed.

This mini-doc on the 1918-1920 Spanish Flu pandemic is worth watching, if only for the historical video. I don't agree with a bit of it, but I won't expound on that
because you are thinking people and can draw your own conclusions. What really struck me, however, was the fourth wave that brought about the end of that pandemic. Sounds a lot like the behavior of Omicron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0AoRkmj9YM&ab_channel=HistoryTime
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 05:52:50 pm by LadyLiberty »