Author Topic: Why Bugs Must Be a Bigger Part of the Human Food Chain  (Read 180 times)

rangerrebew

Why Bugs Must Be a Bigger Part of the Human Food Chain
« on: December 25, 2021, 08:08:17 pm »
Why Bugs Must Be a Bigger Part of the Human Food Chain

They're fine for snacking, but insect protein has its greatest potential as nutrient rich, climate-friendly livestock feed.
By Amanda Little
for Bloomberg Green
December 17, 2021, 6:00 AM EST
You don’t have to try this yet, but insects should play a bigger role in your diet at least indirectly.

The European Union’s landmark decision last week to approve insects for human consumption was a victory for grubs and maggots — and people — the world over. The approval confers a kind of dignity to the lowly, protein-rich microbeasts that we foolishly dismiss as pests, and delivers a clear signal that the insect proteins industry is poised for significant growth. Above all, it paves the way for an alternative protein source that should play a critical role in feeding a hotter, more populous world.

Before this triggers your gag reflex, let’s be clear: For most consumers, the EU decision won’t translate to bugs in your burgers and mealworms in your macaroni. Yes, insects will play a far more integral role in human food systems going forward, but they won’t likely be a direct form of protein. Instead, they’re becoming an increasingly valuable indirect food source — a feedstock for poultry, farmed fish, pork and beef which are currently fattened on environmentally costly soy and corn feeds.

Humans have been consuming edible insects — from crickets and grasshoppers to fire ants and termites — since before the dawn of civilization, and 80% of the world’s population throughout Asia, Africa and Latin America, continues to eat bugs today. But U.S. consumers have been slow on the uptake, even as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved insects for human consumption years ago. A niche market has emerged with snack foods such as Chirp Chips and Exo protein bars.  And when the FDA approved insects for pet foods earlier this year, brands including Purina began sourcing bugs for their products.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-12-17/why-bugs-must-be-a-bigger-part-of-the-human-food-chain

rangerrebew

Re: Why Bugs Must Be a Bigger Part of the Human Food Chain
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 08:13:36 pm »
Maggots for white rice?   Earthworms for pasta?  flies for brown rice?  Giant grasshoppers for shrimp? :thud:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 08:24:32 pm »
Translation: They want the soy for tofu and the corn for ethanol.

I have to laugh, though, at the "free range vegan chickens" out there...any free range bird is eating bugs.

Like cows being plant-based (that's what they eat, after all), I can handle eating poultry that has eaten bugs and worms. Those fine intermediaries convert things I would not like to eat (grass, bugs, worms, etc.) into things I would eat (beef, pork, chicken). simple as that.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 08:34:35 pm »
Translation: They want the soy for tofu and the corn for ethanol.

I have to laugh, though, at the "free range vegan chickens" out there...any free range bird is eating bugs.

Like cows being plant-based (that's what they eat, after all), I can handle eating poultry that has eaten bugs and worms. Those fine intermediaries convert things I would not like to eat (grass, bugs, worms, etc.) into things I would eat (beef, pork, chicken). simple as that.

:thumbsup:

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 08:55:45 pm »
Rabbit season.