Author Topic: All DoD security clearance holders are now subject to continuous vetting to keep them  (Read 233 times)

rangerrebew

All DoD security clearance holders are now subject to continuous vetting to keep them
By Meghann Myers
 Oct 5, 04:03 PM

Traditionally, the agency that bestows security clearances on government employees re-investigates those candidates on a cyclical basis, checking on their credit reports, criminal histories and so on, once every several years. But a new vetting process means the Defense Department, and employees of dozens of other government agencies, will continuously scan background check databases and have any new events sent straight to investigators.

The Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency announced Tuesday that all DoD clearance holders are now part of its continuous vetting program. This means that if an employee comes under criminal investigation, or forecloses on a home, multiple agencies will ping DCSA with the news immediately. At the same time, DCSA software will automatically scan those databases for new information.

Previously, the agency did background checks every five to 10 years on roughly 4 million DoD clearance-holders, which meant that it could be years before an event that would disqualify someone from holding a security clearance was caught.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2021/10/05/all-dod-security-clearance-holders-are-now-subject-to-continuous-vetting-to-keep-them/

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I had a secret clearance for 35 yrs. Those re-investigations were a pain. But looking back I think they would have been way better than what they are changing to now.

Offline EdinVA

Does this mean that corrupt politicians will lose their access to classified information?

Offline The_Reader_David

I had a secret clearance for 35 yrs. Those re-investigations were a pain. But looking back I think they would have been way better than what they are changing to now.

No.  It's just for the little people.  And probably mostly to make sure people who are Trump supporters, or show signs of taking the Constitution too seriously have their clearances pulled.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Kamaji

No.  It's just for the little people.  And probably mostly to make sure people who are Trump supporters, or show signs of taking the Constitution too seriously have their clearances pulled.

Was thinking the same thing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
All DoD security clearance holders are now subject to continuous vetting to keep them
By Meghann Myers
 Oct 5, 04:03 PM

Traditionally, the agency that bestows security clearances on government employees re-investigates those candidates on a cyclical basis, checking on their credit reports, criminal histories and so on, once every several years. 

@rangerrebew

Not really true for Top Secret code word stuff and people. Even something like a drunk-driving arrest will have you called in for a "conference" before it even gets to court.

The good news is (was?) that the people who did these investigations knew how to recognize serious offenses from harmless fun stuff,but if you started running your mouth about "code word operations" while they were current,you would quickly find yourself living in a private room with guards.

Can't speak for ever other goobermint organization,but the Army counter-intelligence people took this stuff  seriously.

To the point that people like me who had TS/Crypto/code word clearances would be listed as deserters if we went missing for 24 hours. "Went missing" was defined as "out of contact,and not where you told you commander where you would be during that time period,and how to contact you."

IIRC,we weren't even allowed to travel more than 50 miles from our duty station without seeking special approval,but this probably had more to do with being able to respond to some sort of tactical emergency somewhere in the world,where there was a limit on how much time you had.

Generally speaking,you could ignore the distance thing as long as someone in your chain of command knew where you were and how to contact you quickly.

And given the nature of the people I am speaking about,being called in for an emergency deployment to pretty much anywhere to do pretty much anything was the equivalent of threatening to give a hungry dog a raw steak.

I miss having enough adreneline to be an adrenilne junkie. The world back then was an exciting,wonderful place to live,where you had friends  you knew you could count on to cover your back under ANY circumstances. These days,we are lucky to have friends faithful enough to pay us back the 10 bucks we lent them.

Hell,my ex's sister is my best friend,and the only one I know I can count on to help me if I really need something.

Although,to give the devil her due,my ex has also told me that if/when I ever get sick enough I can no longer live alone,I can come live with her. This qualifies as the very definition of "desperate times" for me,though. I would rather join a leper colony.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 02:11:37 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Does this mean that corrupt politicians will lose their access to classified information?

@EdinVA

NOT ONE SINGLE CHANCE IN THE WORLD.

"Professional courtesy" is at play,plus the desire to imply that no one in Congress or the US Senate would EVER disclose a secret.

Remember Alcee Hastings,the federal judge from Florida that got caught on tape and video selling sentences,and removed from the bench?

Remember him being elected to Congress and serving there for decades,at least some of that time being on defense boards.

Yet there was no outrage over this CONVICED FELON being allowed access to national security information. IIRC,he was even the Chairman of the board at one time.

Offline EdinVA

@EdinVA

NOT ONE SINGLE CHANCE IN THE WORLD.

"Professional courtesy" is at play,plus the desire to imply that no one in Congress or the US Senate would EVER disclose a secret.

Remember Alcee Hastings,the federal judge from Florida that got caught on tape and video selling sentences,and removed from the bench?

Remember him being elected to Congress and serving there for decades,at least some of that time being on defense boards.

Yet there was no outrage over this CONVICED FELON being allowed access to national security information. IIRC,he was even the Chairman of the board at one time.
@sneakypete
The swamp runs deep and wide...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
The swamp runs deep and wide...

@EdinVA

I wanted to scream and throw things every time Hastings was introduced as "The HONORABLE" Alcee Hastings".

If it hadn't been for ignorant, racist blacks voting for him,he would have never held public office.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@EdinVA

I wanted to scream and throw things every time Hastings was introduced as "The HONORABLE" Alcee Hastings".

If it hadn't been for ignorant, racist blacks voting for him,he would have never held public office.

Alcee Hastings was a VERY distinguished fellow and a boneified  member of the smallest club on earth!  The club consists exclusively of people who have been impeached and removed from office in the USA. You won't need your toes to count the number of members and will probably have some extra fingers as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien