Author Topic: NPR: Climate Change Anxiety Driving Debilitating Psychological Disorders  (Read 215 times)

rangerrebew

NPR: Climate Change Anxiety Driving Debilitating Psychological Disorders
1 hour ago
Eric Worrall

Guest essay by Eric Worrall

h/t John Garrett; According to Princeton psychology professor Elke Weber, lots of people are popping pills to cope with climate anxiety, and more people should raise the issue at Thanksgiving – they will discover their entire family wants climate action.

Coping With The Reality Of Climate Change

August 12, 20214:25 PM ET
    Heard on  All Things Considered

NPR’s Audie Cornish speaks with psychologist Elke Weber about the way individuals deal with the threat of climate change.

…

CORNISH: Increasingly, people are dealing directly with the results of climate change – right? – record heat across the country. How do people respond when they’re confronted with the sort of bigness of the issue of climate change? What kinds of emotions can that draw out?

WEBER: It can be incredibly overwhelming, especially among younger people. And so there’s no question that climate anxiety has gone drastically up by contemplation about sort of what kind of world we live in and what kind of a world we might leave to our children and grandchildren. So it’s very debilitating symptoms that oftentimes have to be treated with medication or with psychotherapy.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/08/14/npr-climate-change-anxiety-driving-major-psychological-disorders/

rangerrebew

And it's climatatistas like NPR that are driving it. *look*

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
After 40 years of parading around the airwaves with virtual sandwich boards proclaiming "the world is going to end today!" , it just might get to some folks. The rest of us just dismiss that constant drumbeat of impending doom, at least until some remarkably stupid policy come along, which is almost as often as the world is supposed to have ended.

Are the coastal cities under water?  NOPE

Are we all being ripped apart by an unending procession of severer storms? Uh-uh.(There have always been nasty storms, the skyrocketing dollar amounts rely on what was a 30K house being 300K or more now.)

The air is cleaner (if you don't count CO2 as a "pollutant"--which it isn't, its a respiration product that doubles as plant food--you don't get more renewable than that)

Water (with a couple local exceptions) is cleaner.

Cars emit less unburned hydrocarbon into the atmosphere due to emissions systems that rely on fuel injection computer metered for the air intake, density, etc.

What can be recycled, in an environmentally and economically friendly fashion, is, especially metals which are environmentally intensive to mine and refine from ore.

Drilling for and producing hydrocarbons is far more efficient, with smaller surface environmental footprints and enhanced reclamation rules for P&A wells.

Utilization of other "fossil" fuels is cleaner than ever.

While there are some notable polluters out there, the US isn't it, and our policy should reflect that instead of constantly moving the goalposts.

While some summers are warmer than others, people aren't melting in their tracks and bursting into flame.

None of the prophesies of doom have been fulfilled.

Biblical prophets were required to bat 1.000, the Climate harpies have yet to get a prediction right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Some people, particularly young folks, are driven by doom messages. My son came home from school and told me all the calamities that would befall us in 5 years. That was 7 years ago. None of it happened. But they still believe it because the bad kids don't believe it. It's like a type of bullying. Anyone who disagrees gets attacked. So much for "Be kind".

I think people are anxious because they want to be anxious
Countdown to Resignation

Offline AARguy

Thousands of years ago the ice was a mile thick covering America. How did man melt that? Camp fires?

Offline Kamaji

Some people, particularly young folks, are driven by doom messages. My son came home from school and told me all the calamities that would befall us in 5 years. That was 7 years ago. None of it happened. But they still believe it because the bad kids don't believe it. It's like a type of bullying. Anyone who disagrees gets attacked. So much for "Be kind".

Have you sat your son down and pointed out to him that (a) none of the aforementioned calamities has in fact occurred, therefore that (b) he was most likely lied to, and (c) on that basis, how confident can be be that he's not being lied to now?

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Wish the communist leaning NPR would do a run down on algore's apocalyptic climate predictions he made about 20 years ago.

I guess that is too much to ask,  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Mass hysteria has an attraction all its own. I don't pretend to know why, but virtually any media that depict the future produced in the last 20 years shows a dystopian future, played out amongst the ruins of our former glory as humans.  I seem to recall when Science Fiction had a hopeful note and wasn't all shot in garbage dumps and industrial ruins. But apocalypse sells, human conflict having been a constant since Cain and Abel, and people would get bored without "pew pew-pew, pew" in the soundtrack...

maybe it is an absolution from the pressure to build bigger and better, to generally accept our species' demise.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 03:31:35 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"CDS":
Climate derangement syndrome...