Author Topic: Cherry-Picking Evidence for Global Warming, Police Brutality, and Beyond  (Read 104 times)

rangerrebew

Cherry-Picking Evidence for Global Warming, Police Brutality, and Beyond
iStock.com/rottadana & Gorlov

By David Marshall Published on July 30, 2021
David Marshall

It was hotter here in Seattle this summer than at least since Snoqualmie Indians dried salmon on the banks of the river named for them, a two minutes’ walk from my home. Until this century, the highest ever recorded here was 100. Late in June it hit 104, and the next day, 108, and we got even hotter in the foothills. Canada set a new national record at 116, no, 117, no, 121. Portland now holds a record high greater than any major city in America but Las Vegas and Phoenix (even LA or Dallas!): 117.

Home Depot was out of air conditioners, real heat being unusual in the Northwest, so I boarded up our largest sun-facing window with sheet rock. I took the dog to church, which provided an air-conditioned space and ice cream (we both had vanilla). Then we soaked in the north fork of the river, under cottonwoods and granite peaks. A writer can work under such conditions.
Fitting the Facts to the Narrative

Much of the national reporting tied our big heat wave to global warming. “A taste of the future,” Kristi Ebi, University of Washington health professor, told ABC News. Michael Mann (of hockey stick fame) warned CBS, “We will continue to see more and more extreme heat waves, droughts, wildfires and floods,” if we don’t follow his prescription for mitigation against climate change.

https://stream.org/cherry-picking-evidence-for-global-warming-police-brutality-and-beyond/