Author Topic: Using Your EV Charge Card  (Read 300 times)

rangerrebew

Using Your EV Charge Card
« on: August 08, 2021, 03:19:43 pm »

Using Your EV Charge Card
22 hours ago

Guest Post by Willis Eschenbach

People keep talking about how as electric cars become cheaper, more people will use them. But what they keep ignoring is that they are totally useless for long trips.

The Climate Spokeswoman for the UK PM Boris Johnson, Allegra Stratton, recently let the cat out of the bag when she revealed why even she doesn’t use an EV (electric vehicle):

“Net-zero is the glide path. What we have to be doing more quickly – the science is clear – we have to be changing our carbon emissions output right now so that we can stop temperature increase by 2030.

She explained that she doesn’t want to stop to charge her car when she visits elderly relatives “200,250 miles away”.

She claimed that she visits family around the UK, including Scotland, north Wales, the Lake District and Gloucester.

Because of this, she said: “They’re all journeys that I think would be at least one quite long stop to charge.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/08/07/9382173/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Using Your EV Charge Card
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 03:35:14 pm »
Having swappable modular batteries that aren't proprietary to each separate make and model would go a long way to changing this.  Just think of it like swapping out the propane cannister for your gas grill.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 08:34:00 pm »
Kamaji opined:
"Having swappable modular batteries that aren't proprietary to each separate make and model would go a long way to changing this.  Just think of it like swapping out the propane cannister for your gas grill."

Yup.
Big battery pack, easily swapped out.

How's this going to work out with thieves in urban areas?
They'll be nearly as easy to steal as catalytic converters...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 08:44:37 pm »
Kamaji opined:
"Having swappable modular batteries that aren't proprietary to each separate make and model would go a long way to changing this.  Just think of it like swapping out the propane cannister for your gas grill."

Yup.
Big battery pack, easily swapped out.

How's this going to work out with thieves in urban areas?
They'll be nearly as easy to steal as catalytic converters...

That doesn't follow at all. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 10:00:30 pm »
Having swappable modular batteries that aren't proprietary to each separate make and model would go a long way to changing this.  Just think of it like swapping out the propane cannister for your gas grill.

We already know that fitting out just the cars that will have to be electric will take an unprecedented effort to mine the Rare Earth minerals.  That's one battery per car.

Having "swappable modules" would require at least two batteries per car, and that's double the aforementioned mining.  It would eventually happen, long after all the fossil fuel vehicles are off the road, leaving the people trapped in their cities in the meantime.

One could almost get the feeling that's the whole purpose of the push for all electric cars.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 11:14:19 pm »

@Kamaji

At this point the batteries are very heavy,and it will take a big leap forward in the technology to make them smaller and lighter,and still have the same output.

And none of this addresses what to do with the poisonous batteries once they no longer hold a charge. We can't eat them,so they will end up going into a landfill somewhere in the US,and in foreign countries with a coast line,they will probably get dumped at sea,poisoning the oceans.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:15:40 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 11:18:11 pm »
We already know that fitting out just the cars that will have to be electric will take an unprecedented effort to mine the Rare Earth minerals.  That's one battery per car.

Having "swappable modules" would require at least two batteries per car, and that's double the aforementioned mining.  It would eventually happen, long after all the fossil fuel vehicles are off the road, leaving the people trapped in their cities in the meantime.

One could almost get the feeling that's the whole purpose of the push for all electric cars.

@Cyber Liberty

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!

You may have just convinced me to become a fan of electric cars!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 11:49:50 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!

You may have just convinced me to become a fan of electric cars!

:pondering:

Good Point.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 01:12:43 am »
...And none of this addresses what to do with the poisonous batteries once they no longer hold a charge. We can't eat them,so they will end up going into a landfill somewhere in the US,and in foreign countries with a coast line,they will probably get dumped at sea,poisoning the oceans.

They are too expensive to throw away and not recycle.  Look for mandated recycling coming to the US soon.

Millions of electric cars are coming. What happens to all the dead batteries?
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/05/millions-electric-cars-are-coming-what-happens-all-dead-batteries

...To jump-start recycling, governments and industry are putting money into an array of research initiatives. The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) has pumped some $15 million into a ReCell Center to coordinate studies by scientists in academia, industry, and at government laboratories. The United Kingdom has backed the ReLiB project, a multi-institution effort. As the EV industry ramps up, the need for progress is becoming urgent, says Linda Gaines, who works on battery recycling at DOE’s Argonne National Laboratory....

...the Blade Battery, a lithium ferrophosphate battery released last year by BYD, a Chinese EV-maker. Its pack does away with the module component, instead storing flat cells directly inside. The cells can be removed easily by hand, without fighting with wires and glues.

The Blade Battery emerged after China in 2018 began to make EV manufacturers responsible for ensuring batteries are recycled. The country now recycles more lithium-ion batteries than the rest of the world combined, using mostly pyro- and hydrometallurgical methods....

...In the European Union, one answer could come later this year, when officials release the continent’s first rule. And next year a panel of experts created by the state of California is expected to weigh in with recommendations that could have a big influence over any U.S. policy....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 12:02:38 pm »

Do you have a gas grill?  Do you need to have more than one tank of propane?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 02:07:07 pm »
Do you have a gas grill?  Do you need to have more than one tank of propane?

Yes!  I have a grill and a gas griddle, too, and I have 3 bottles so I can have a spare incase it goes out during a cookout party.  My Kegerator holds two 5-gallon kegs of beer, and I always have a spare because it can take over a week in my smallish town to get a replacement when it blows empty.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 02:07:53 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 10:21:43 pm »
"Using your EV charge card"...

Does it work on these?