Author Topic: WI Wolf Hunt: Dominated by Dogs, Perfect Conditions, Politics  (Read 384 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Wisconsin Wolf Hunt: Dominated by Dogs, Perfect Conditions, Politics
Ammoland Inc.
Posted on March 1, 2021 by Dean Weingarten

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/03/wi-wolf-hunt-dominated-by-dogs-perfect-conditions-politics/#axzz6nafFyF8i

In February of 2021, Wisconsin held the first legal wolf hunt in the state, as required by law, since 2014. For seven years, the mandated wolf hunt was delayed and prohibited by activist groups and federal judges far from the action in Wisconsin. People who live with the increasing wolf population often have a different perspective, as shown in the linked videos.

**Videos at link**

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: WI Wolf Hunt: Dominated by Dogs, Perfect Conditions, Politics
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 05:01:05 pm »
Very informative article.

@roamer_1

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 05:16:44 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 06:30:42 pm »
Thanks @Lando Lincoln

But don't get me started... I am particularly offended by them big McKenzie River killers they drug up in here and let loose. I have a deep love for our own Timbers, which belong here, or did... no doubt they are all gone now - replaced and subsumed by the larger and pack-dense McKenzies.

But a couple things... Any of them pics, shot with a little more black, just a shade more to malamute markings, could be one of my mountain dogs.

And if they closed off the hunt that fast, DNR is lying about the numbers in the wild.

It is odd to me that foothold trapping outweighed snare (no snares?), as wolves are notoriously hard to get into a foothold trap. Both coyote and wolf, I would prefer a snare. That really surprised me.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 07:01:06 pm »
@roamer_1

I'm also surprised by the use of foothold traps.  Snares too for that matter.  Very indiscriminate methods.  I'm just surprised. 
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:07:44 pm »
@roamer_1

I'm also surprised by the use of foothold traps.  Snares too for that matter.  Very indiscriminate methods.  I'm just surprised.

@Lando Lincoln
It ain't all that indiscriminate. Coyotes as an instance, if you find a trackway where it goes under a fence, setting a snare right there where they been ducking under the fence, is near a guarantee. But yeah. Snares are not made for being discriminate. Whatever is in em is dead by the time you get there. But a foothold ain't so. Usually the critter has to be dispatched, so at least in theory, you can let em go if you caught the wrong thing. Usually no fault no foul.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:09:08 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 07:15:01 pm »
@Lando Lincoln
It ain't all that indiscriminate. Coyotes as an instance, if you find a trackway where it goes under a fence, setting a snare right there where they been ducking under the fence, is near a guarantee. But yeah. Snares are not made for being discriminate. Whatever is in em is dead by the time you get there. But a foothold ain't so. Usually the critter has to be dispatched, so at least in theory, you can let em go if you caught the wrong thing. Usually no fault no foul.

When I was a young boy, my brother and I would makes snares fashioned out of picture wire for cottontail rabbits.  We had a couple winters where the population was amazingly high.  We got really, really good at catching those little rascals.  My father loved sweet and sour hasenpfeffer.  We were rock stars.
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 07:19:28 pm »
When I was a young boy, my brother and I would makes snares fashioned out of picture wire for cottontail rabbits.  We had a couple winters where the population was amazingly high.  We got really, really good at catching those little rascals.  My father loved sweet and sour hasenpfeffer.  We were rock stars.

That is fun as heck. But something I don't get to do very often. We don't have neither, hares nor rabbits, hereabout. Now and then I get over to Idaho, up in the panhandle, and I always snare rabbits while I am there... Same if I get over to the east slope for hares.

Offline Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck