Author Topic: Report: McConnell not urging GOP to clear Trump in impeachment, says to vote their conscience  (Read 268 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Report: McConnell not urging GOP to clear Trump in impeachment, says to vote their conscience
February 10, 2021 | Jon Dougherty

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has told Republicans to vote their conscience when deciding on former President Donald Trump’s fate following an unprecedented second impeachment trial, according to a report Tuesday.

Citing three anonymous sources, Bloomberg Politics reported that the Kentucky Republican, who voted to declare the trial unconstitutional, allegedly told his caucus that even if they also disputed the constitutionality of impeaching a president who has already left office, they could nevertheless vote to convict Trump anyway.

In addition, McConnell hinted that he has yet to make up his own mind regarding Trump’s fate, two sources told Bloomberg.

By comparison, ahead of last year’s impeachment trial of Trump, McConnell made it clear he had no intention of voting to convict.

The first vote on Tuesday after the Senate trial got underway was to determine whether the chamber even has the constitutional authority to continue the impeachment process since Trump is no longer in office; 56 senators, including six Republicans, voted that the Senate does have the authority, though there is nothing in the Constitution outlining or authorizing a post-presidency impeachment trial.

Nevertheless, 67 votes are needed to convict, so that means 11 more Republicans would have to join with the 56 who voted to claim the trial was constitutional. That’s a high bar and it strongly suggests that the former president won’t be convicted, analysts say.

But even if he is, it’s possible that a conviction could be challenged in court if, say, Trump decided he wanted to run for a second presidential term in 2024. The Constitution specifically calls for the Senate impeachment trial to be presided over by the current chief justice of the Supreme Court — in this case, John Roberts. But Roberts made clear early on he would not officiate since Trump is no longer in office, so Democrats chose Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the Senate President pro tempore, to preside.

“The National Law Journal points out that the impeachment trial is likely to raise constitutional questions,” the American Bar Association Journal reported last month. “They include whether a former president can be impeached and whether Trump’s speech before the Capitol riot was protected by the First Amendment. The impeachment issue could reach the Supreme Court.”

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/02/10/report-mcconnell-not-urging-gop-to-clear-trump-in-impeachment-says-to-vote-their-conscience-1027826/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

I'd love to see the rats focus on Murderturtle's family China interests and how they might be affecting his performance as a public servant, but he's just too darn useful for them to lose.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I'd love to see the rats focus on Murderturtle's family China interests and how they might be affecting his performance as a public servant, but he's just too darn useful for them to lose.

I think Mitch was roughed up a bit and warned that he needed to get back in line with the DEMS.  His wife vacated her position and he's 78 years old.  He's useful to them for now, but with the fraud I forsee happening again in 2022, the number of GOP seats will shrink significantly and he'll be shuffled out.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline corbe

You stole that line from Sen, Cruz, Bi1ch.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The US has crossed the Rubicon.  We won't come back from this.

Online roamer_1

You stole that line from Sen, Cruz, Bi1ch.

That was purposeful, I do believe.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Turtle is nothing but an opportunist bowl of squish, and handing over the keys of the republic in blaze of self interest.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
OK,who is surprised by this?

Anyone?

Bueller?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!