Author Topic: What specific chemical properties of carbon dioxide causes the greenhouse effect? Why, chemically, i  (Read 240 times)

rangerrebew

What specific chemical properties of carbon dioxide causes the greenhouse effect? Why, chemically, is carbon more reflective than other gases?
TL Winslow
·

Questions like this are indicative of widespread ignorance about radiative physics. I have deeply studied the subject for decades, so let me attempt to enlighten you.

According to the U.S. Nat. Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin. (NOAA), CO2 doesn’t reflect radiation. Instead, it absorbs and reemits it, meaning after a delay:

[[Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas
: a gas that absorbs and radiates heat. Warmed by sunlight, Earth’s land and ocean surfaces continuously radiate thermal infrared energy (heat). Unlike oxygen or nitrogen (which make up most of our atmosphere), greenhouse gases absorb that heat and release it gradually over time, like bricks in a fireplace after the fire goes out. Without this natural greenhouse effect
, Earth’s average annual temperature would be below freezing instead of close to 60°F. But increases in greenhouse gases have tipped the Earth's energy budget out of balance, trapping additional heat and raising Earth's average temperature.]] - Climate Change: Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide

https://www.quora.com/What-specific-chemical-properties-of-carbon-dioxide-causes-the-greenhouse-effect-Why-chemically-is-carbon-more-reflective-than-other-gases/answer/TL-Winslow

Online Hoodat

Good ole P-Chem.

Incidentally, the most prevalent greenhouse gas by far is water vapor.  At an average global temperature of 52.5°F, CO2 constitutes less than 3% of greenhouse gases.  At 65°F, that percentage drops to 1.7.

Let's say that atmospheric CO2 levels rise by an unprecedented 25%.  That would equate to a 0.7% rise in greenhouse gas levels.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Good ole P-Chem.

Incidentally, the most prevalent greenhouse gas by far is water vapor.  At an average global temperature of 52.5°F, CO2 constitutes less than 3% of greenhouse gases.  At 65°F, that percentage drops to 1.7.

Let's say that atmospheric CO2 levels rise by an unprecedented 25%.  That would equate to a 0.7% rise in greenhouse gas levels.

Facts and actual science are not allowed!