Author Topic: Texas officer charged with murder for shooting man who reportedly attempted to intervene in fight  (Read 907 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Texas officer charged with murder for shooting man who reportedly attempted to intervene in fight
October 6, 2020 | BPR Wire

Kaylee Greenlee, DCNF

The Texas police officer who allegedly shot and killed Jonathan Price outside a gas station Saturday was arrested and charged with murder Monday, according to prosecutors.

Officer Shaun David Lucas’s bond was posted at $1 million, CBS DFW reported. Price, 31, had attempted to deescalate a fight between a man and woman outside a gas station in Wolfe City, Texas, according to an ABC affiliate, and Lucas allegedly tased then fatally shot Price.

“This is the first step. This man is dangerous and should not be out on bond. The family was relieved to hear of his arrest and are looking forward to his conviction,” Dallas attorney Lee Merritt said, CBS DFW reported.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/10/06/texas-officer-charged-with-murder-for-shooting-man-who-reportedly-attempted-to-intervene-in-fight-981491
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/officer-arrested-murder-charge-shooting-death-of-jonathan-price/287-5d17de99-0bfd-444b-b670-045f31063d0d

Civil rights attorney Lee Merritt is working with Price's family. He posted about the 31-year-old's death after he spoke with them.

"When police arrived, I’m told, he raised his hands and attempted to explain what was going on," Merritt wrote on Facebook. "Police fired tasers at him and when his body convulsed from the electrical current, they 'perceived a threat' and shot him to death."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why is it that it seems like we are only hearing part of this story?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline RedHead

What's the other side of the story?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What's the other side of the story?

@RedHead

The one we haven't heard. You know the one I am talking about. It has things called "details".

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

I'm surprised you even ask that question. You know perfectly well that every reporter's article that's written is biased by the thoughts of the writer and editors.

I missed the discussions I had with an insomniac coworker who was a Ham Radio Buff. You could ask him about any current, mostly world, event and he would espouse the different opinions from around the world. Now this was years before the WWW, but now with the Internet, one should be able to find multiple sources on any topic without too much research effort.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I miss Paul Harvey too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm surprised you even ask that question. You know perfectly well that every reporter's article that's written is biased by the thoughts of the writer and editors.

@Elderberry

Look up the definition of the word "Irony".

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@Elderberry

Look up the definition of the word "Irony".

Nope: Too early for dat. My coworkers all knew not to even talk to me in the morning until after I'd had my 3rd cup of Java.

Offline RedHead

@RedHead

The one we haven't heard. You know the one I am talking about. It has things called "details".

Sounds like the "details" led to a murder indictment.  What did they miss?

Offline RedHead

The writer and the editors did not indict the man, the state of Texas did.  The writer reported that.  Rereading it the story seems to be a pretty straight-forward account of what the state announced.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Shaun Lucas: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Heavy by Tom Cleary 10/6/2020

https://heavy.com/news/shaun-lucas-jonathan-price/

1. Price’s Family Say Lucas Used a Taser on Him While His Hands Were Raised & Then Shot Him as He Walking Away When His Body Reacted to Being Stunned

The Texas Rangers said in the statement, “Lucas made contact with a man, later identified as 31-year-old Jonathan Price, who was reportedly involved in the disturbance. Officer Lucas attempted to detain Price, who resisted in a non-threatening posture and began walking away. Officer Lucas deployed his Taser, followed by discharging his service weapon striking Price. EMS was notified and PRice was transported to Hunt Regional Hospital, where he later died.”

According to the press release, “The preliminary investigation indicates that the actions of Officer Lucas were not objectionably reasonable.” Police said the investigation led to the murder charge. “No additional information is being released at this time.” It is not known if the shooting was recorded on video, either surveillance video at the gas station or by police dashboard cam or body cam.

More at link.

Offline RedHead

Shaun Lucas: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Heavy by Tom Cleary 10/6/2020

https://heavy.com/news/shaun-lucas-jonathan-price/

So then if Price resisted in "a non-threatening manner" and since Price was unarmed then where was the justification in shooting him?  I'm not seeing it, and apparently neither is the state of Texas.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sounds like the "details" led to a murder indictment.  What did they miss?

@RedHead

Only the stuff the DA didn't want them to hear.

Offline RedHead

@RedHead

Only the stuff the DA didn't want them to hear.

Which would be what?