Author Topic: Republicans fret over Trump's self-inflicted blows at first debate  (Read 1559 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans fret over Trump's self-inflicted blows at first debate
« on: September 30, 2020, 05:34:00 pm »
Republicans fret over Trump's self-inflicted blows at first debate
By Jonathan Easley and Morgan Chalfant - 09/30/20 01:17 PM EDT

Republicans say President Trump missed a golden opportunity to change the course of the presidential election at this week’s debate, heightening pressure on the incumbent to radically alter his strategy and style in the final stretch to appeal to the independents and women he'll need to win over if he hopes to secure a second term.

They say the game-changing moments were there for the taking but Trump's aggressive posturing got the best of him. The debate effectively collapsed around Trump’s crosstalk, which was a huge turnoff to many viewers at a time when the president is desperately trying to make up ground in key battleground states.

That’s deeply frustrating for Republicans, who believe Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden would have looked rambling and been prone to more mistakes if Trump would only have allowed him to carry on.

Instead, with only 34 days to go before the election, the president is dealing with yet another racial controversy over his refusal to condemn white supremacists on the biggest stage imaginable.

The president will campaign in Minnesota on Wednesday night as he seeks to rebound. The North Star State is one of a handful carried by Hillary Clinton in 2016 that the Trump campaign hopes to flip in 2020.

But Minnesota Republicans say the president’s best opportunity to keep the pressure on Biden in the traditionally blue state may have slipped through his fingers amid the shouting and name-calling at Tuesday night’s debate.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/518968-republicans-fret-over-trumps-self-inflicted-blows-at-first-debate
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Republicans fret over Trump's self-inflicted blows at first debate
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 05:34:47 pm »
That’s deeply frustrating for Republicans, who believe Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden would have looked rambling and been prone to more mistakes if Trump would only have allowed him to carry on.

Rush is saying the same thing..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 05:45:02 pm »
Reagan had a bad night his first debate with Mondale. It's not unusual for the first debate for the sitting President to go wrong.

But at least with some coaching and constructive criticism, Trump's problems are fixable.  Biden's aren't.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 05:46:25 pm »
Rush is saying the same thing..
That might well have been what happens.  Maybe they'll try that during the second debate.  If there is a second debate.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 05:49:50 pm »
The worst blow to Trump came from Chris Wallace.
When Wallace said to Trump, "Will you tell all your White Supremacist friends to stand down?"
All Trump had to say is, 'I don't know any White Supremacist groups. Will Biden tell Antifa/BLM to stand down?'
Instead he fell right into the trap and named 'Proud Boys' as a supremacist hate group.
This was Trump's biggest failure and it came from Wallace, not from Biden.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 05:49:54 pm »
Reagan had a bad night his first debate with Mondale. It's not unusual for the first debate for the sitting President to go wrong.

Reagan was in much better shape in the polls than Trump is.  And his first debate was nowhere near the dumpster fire that last night was.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:51:19 pm »
That might well have been what happens.  Maybe they'll try that during the second debate.  If there is a second debate.
There likely will not be another debate.
Liberals see Trump as wounded.
They do not want to give him a chance to correct himself.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 07:25:01 pm »
When Wallace said to Trump, "Will you tell all your White Supremacist friends to stand down?" All Trump had to say is, 'I don't know any White Supremacist groups. Will Biden tell Antifa/BLM to stand down?' Instead he fell right into the trap and named 'Proud Boys' as a supremacist hate group. This was Trump's biggest failure and it came from Wallace, not from Biden.

Ben Shapiro
@benshapiro

Donald Trump has, in fact, condemned white supremacy repeatedly. In the exchange everyone is quoting from last night, he repeatedly said he was willing to do so. The fact that this has been obscured is journalistic malpractice.

1:58 PM · Sep 30, 2020·Sprout Social

https://twitter.com/GOPChairwoman/status/1311364814049021952[/quote]

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 07:31:16 pm »
For me,  the choice is between Trump and a third party vote for the Libertarian, Jo Jorgensen.

Trump last night reinforced all the things I dislike about the man,  including his resolute refusal to understand why so many of us cringe at his un-presidential demeanor and behavior.   He will always play only to his faction and he seems uninterested in coalition-building.

He is going to lose this election because even those of us who support his policies are fed up and frustrated.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 07:36:02 pm »
He is going to lose this election because even those of us who support his policies are fed up and frustrated.

Then the pain you and yours experience for a generation will be self-inflicted.  The only pity is you'll take the rest of us into hell with you.

You get zero virtue signaling points for this.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 07:38:43 pm »

Biden has already committed to the last two debates, he can't back down now.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 09:41:17 pm »
Then the pain you and yours experience for a generation will be self-inflicted.  The only pity is you'll take the rest of us into hell with you.

You get zero virtue signaling points for this.

It is not " virtue signaling" to ask that a politician earn my vote. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 09:55:24 pm »
SCREW YOU, 'Republicans'!!

I haven't heard a peep out of the RNC regarding the outright FRAUD being hatched by this so-called "MAIL-IN" balloting.

The only voice we're hearing is from POTUS.

Get your sissy heads out of your smartphones and do/say something.    9999hair out0000
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online rustynail

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 10:02:28 pm »
The FUD is strong here.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:40:57 pm »

Has Trump?

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 11:00:59 pm »
Hehehe
Yea, sure. He can't back down now.
Of course he can, and he will. It all depends on what happens in the polls.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 11:18:30 pm »
For me,  the choice is between Trump and a third party vote for the Libertarian, Jo Jorgensen.

Trump last night reinforced all the things I dislike about the man,  including his resolute refusal to understand why so many of us cringe at his un-presidential demeanor and behavior.   He will always play only to his faction and he seems uninterested in coalition-building.

So you’re not going to support him because you don’t like his style, even though you like the substance of his presidency.

This is why America is screwed. Too many people have thrown their intellect into neutral because their sensitivities have been offended.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 11:20:20 pm »
When Wallace said to Trump, "Will you tell all your White Supremacist friends to stand down?"
All Trump had to say is, 'I don't know any White Supremacist groups. Will Biden tell Antifa/BLM to stand down?'
Instead he fell right into the trap and named 'Proud Boys' as a supremacist hate group.
This was Trump's biggest failure and it came from Wallace, not from Biden.
Thats kinda what Trump said - ‘name them, what groups?’ Then he rightly went straight to ‘these riots are coming from the left’.

And it sounded to me like Biden named the Proud Boys.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:22:00 pm by skeeter »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 12:31:07 am »

Thank God for your wisdom!!!

:sarc:

You are as wrong about this as just about any other given subject.  It's like having our very own Juan Williams.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 01:33:05 am »
But at least with some coaching and constructive criticism, Trump's problems are fixable.
[/quote]
-------------------------------
Suggest you develop a stand up routine; you'll pack 'em in.
The only item fixable in Trump, is his hair.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2020, 12:26:48 pm »
But at least with some coaching and constructive criticism, Trump's problems are fixable.

Yes,  his problems are fixable,  but after all this time,  I have my doubts he understands what the problem is.   

Marc Thiessen wrote this morning that Trump needs to focus on persuadable voters -  those who like his policies but don't like him.   I am one of those persuadable voters,  but I not if I am forced to tune out the debate after the first half hour because it plays like a badly scripted wrestling cage match.    Trump's proudly been the chaos candidate -  but right now there's just a bit too much chaos in this world.   

My vote,  and I suspect the vote of many others,  needs to be earned.    I am not just going strap on the kneepads and bib.  Trump has little more than a month left to clear what ought to be a low bar -  but he couldn't do it on Tuesday night.   Instead,  his behavior obscured the reality that Biden made it quite clear that he is unable and unwilling to stand against his party's radicalism.   Trump lost a golden opportunity to have the issues framed in his favor.       

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2020, 01:05:45 pm »
Yes,  his problems are fixable,  but after all this time,  I have my doubts he understands what the problem is.   

Marc Thiessen wrote this morning that Trump needs to focus on persuadable voters -  those who like his policies but don't like him.   I am one of those persuadable voters,  but I not if I am forced to tune out the debate after the first half hour because it plays like a badly scripted wrestling cage match.    Trump's proudly been the chaos candidate -  but right now there's just a bit too much chaos in this world.   

My vote,  and I suspect the vote of many others,  needs to be earned.    I am not just going strap on the kneepads and bib.  Trump has little more than a month left to clear what ought to be a low bar -  but he couldn't do it on Tuesday night.   Instead,  his behavior obscured the reality that Biden made it quite clear that he is unable and unwilling to stand against his party's radicalism.   Trump lost a golden opportunity to have the issues framed in his favor.       

But Trump won't listen.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2020, 01:26:03 pm »

At many other junctures of his Presidency, I have questioned his actions through my own pair of glasses, only to discover much later that he ended up with the victory he needed.  I'm willing to give him a pass on this first debate knowing that there are two more to follow.  Yes, Trump does listen.  I know that personally.  But that doesn't mean he adopts your strategy.  Because in the end so far, his strategy has been pretty successful.

I remember back in 2012, Mitt Romney cleaned Baraq Obama's clock in the first debate.  But by the time the third debate ended, everyone had forgotten about that first one.  I think Trump was setting up Biden with the first one.  He clearly landed a few blows on Joe being stupid, a liar, corrupt, and inconsistent.  Biden will be obsessing about all that personal butthurt when he faces Trump in Round 2.

By election day, we'll see if Trump earned your vote.  But please keep an open mind at least through two more debates.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2020, 04:30:03 pm »
Sure, @skeeter,  I'll keep an open mind.   But maybe I'll just split my votes this year and cast my mail-in ballot for Trump and my in-person ballot for Jorgensen.   happy77

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2020, 04:40:25 pm »
At many other junctures of his Presidency, I have questioned his actions through my own pair of glasses, only to discover much later that he ended up with the victory he needed.  I'm willing to give him a pass on this first debate knowing that there are two more to follow.  Yes, Trump does listen.  I know that personally.  But that doesn't mean he adopts your strategy.  Because in the end so far, his strategy has been pretty successful.

I remember back in 2012, Mitt Romney cleaned Baraq Obama's clock in the first debate.  But by the time the third debate ended, everyone had forgotten about that first one.  I think Trump was setting up Biden with the first one.  He clearly landed a few blows on Joe being stupid, a liar, corrupt, and inconsistent.  Biden will be obsessing about all that personal butthurt when he faces Trump in Round 2.

By election day, we'll see if Trump earned your vote.  But please keep an open mind at least through two more debates.

Don't underestimate the importance of the Pence/Harris debate,  this will be the introduction of Harris to most people.  And they realize that there's a good chance if Biden gets elected she will become POTUS.   Pence must destroy her.