Author Topic: New study says statins and other cholesterol drugs may not reduce risk of heart disease after all  (Read 365 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New study says statins and other cholesterol drugs may not reduce risk of heart disease after all
August 4, 2020 | Tom Tillison

While recognized as one of the most commonly prescribed drugs, researchers are saying that statins and other cholesterol-lowering drugs may not reduce the risk of heart disease after all.

That’s according to the British Medical Journal, following an analysis of 35 studies into the effects of the drugs, according to the Daily Mail.

Statins lower “bad” LDL cholesterol — elevated levels increase the risk of dying from heart disease, when combined with factors like age and family history.

Researchers systematically reviewed all published clinical trials comparing treatment with one of three types of cholesterol-lowering drugs – statins, ezetimibe and PCSK9, and found that the drugs has no consistent benefit, the British tabloid reported

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/08/04/new-study-says-statins-and-other-cholesterol-drugs-may-not-reduce-risk-of-heart-disease-after-all-955801
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LegalAmerican

Ok, I ate oatmeal and all sorts of healthful foods my whole life. I had high cholesterol. I skimmed off extra fat. Walked, danced for health. I tried to get a statin, MEDICARE DENIED ME THE PRESCRIPTION. Time went on. I did follow-ups. Did no good.  Then Oct 2017, I took myself to emergency room with severe chest pain that would not stop.  13 hours of it.  Then I started throwing up. Nothing left in the stomach,  still retching. Hospital did not know what was going on.  FINALLY, I went into full blown heart attack, while in hospital! Very painful, still throwing up. NURSES said to be calm. Then, they found someone who would do a surgery on me. They put a 'wire' into my wrist to my heart with a stent, to unplug a vein, 90% blocked.  Maybe my denied statin, would have unplugged that vein? I don't know. I was at 333, now with statin I am 148. Less cholesterol to block veins?  I DON'T KNOW.

The way I see it, our veins are like plumbing in the house. After years of water, soot, minerals, blocking pipe, the plumber has to be called to clean out the pipes. No amount of being careful with our plumbing, will stop the corrosive elements from sticking to the plumbing.   Same with the veins.  So, it is about years of blood flowing through veins and getting 'dirty'. Genetically predisposed to having vein issues. Now alcoholic's, may die of cirrhosis of the liver, but they have low cholesterol!  Alcohol, damages the liver, stops some cholesterol making.  All about the liver. 

Offline Applewood

I've been on a statin since 2008 and it has worked well for me, except for triglycerides for which I take a fish oil capsule every day.  Statins work on high cholesterol.  If a patient has other risk factors not under control, of course, a statin is not going to prevent a heart attack.   And as to cholesterol, a statin alone will not help high cholesterol if the patient is going to eat high fat foods, particularly those high in saturated or trans fat. 

That said, statins are not for everyone.  Many people suffer debilitating side effects.  So of course, those patients should not take statins.   It's just another matter to discuss with one's own physician.